Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

grantsowerby

grantsowerby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop (windows vista, 2GB RAM) suddenly wouldn't turn on at the weekend having operating fine during the previous week. When I press the power button the button lights up as if it is going to start then the laptop dies after a couple of seconds. I have tried unplugging and running off the battery and tried running direct from the power without the battery. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Grant

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi grantsowerby :D sorry to hear you are having trouble with your laptop.
First thing to ask, is the laptop still covered by warranty, if yes return it.
What model HP laptop is it, how old and have you ever cleaned out the dust from the
inside of the case, cooling fan etc?
Have a look at the attached video & you will see why I ask
You say you have 2GB of Ram, is that 2x1GB sticks or 1x2GB, we can`t tell without
knowing the model of laptop.
If it is 2x1GB sticks (with the power off and battery out) hold the on button down
for about 30 seconds to dispel any charge that could be in the system, remove both
sticks of Ram and try the Ram from slot 2 in slot 1, reassemble & try booting up,
do the same procedure with stick 1 in slot 2, make a note if a stick will work in
a particular slot, let us know how this goes.
Another common cause of the symptoms you are describing is a failed CPU fan as the
system will shut down to prevent the CPU from overheating & this would be the next
check.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.