Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I recently installed Vista on a new HDD about a week ago. Ever since it managed to install, the CD drive has never worked. I've wanted to use my Vista CD to run a system repair when the OS started acting up, but it wouldn't read it. Maybe after like opening the drive 4 times and closing it and 10 minutes later it would manage to get to the first prompt but wouldn't do anything beyond that. I also bought brand new software today that I'd really like to use, but I can't because it doesn't read the media.

So far, I've tried running this http://support.micro..._drive_problems which just stalls out, and I've cleared the Prefetch as well as deleting the lower/upper hardware filters installed by windows updates.

Any ideas, G2G?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Does the drive show up in the BIOS Setup Menu? How about in Disk Management?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yes to both

If by showing up in BIOS you mean that I can adjust my booting priority to the CD drive if I'd like.