Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I upgrade to Win7

• Please log in to reply

Carol D

Carol D

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello Dear Gurus

I have an Acer Aspire Laptop...............
The CD Rom drive pooched, but works in a DOS environment.therefore assuming that WinVista may have some corruption.

I have 3G ram, 250 G HD...............Backed up my C Drive last nite - most of my Data is on D Drive.

Have lots of graphic programs, and others.

What are the pitfalls if I upgrade to Win 7.0 after doing a format C: Rather than just reinstalling Vista..........Apparently CHKDSK found a LOT of corrupt files.

Thoughts please
With Thanks
Carol

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before attempting a upgrade to Win 7 please do the Win 7 Upgrade Adviser.
this will show any issues you may have with hardware or software if you upgrade.
Second try rerunning chkdsk /r.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thx
It was recommended that I reinstall after a full format because of all of the errors found at the puter hosp last night - seems ok now - will do another chkdsk

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the shop tell you exactly what errors it found?
Let me know if chkdsk finds and fixes more errors. It may be a issue with the OS or the HD itself.

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi

Have the same problem - ran chkdsk - didn't find any errors - used the /r switch, but it gave me a wierd reply with the /f switch. The puter IS running faster, but still no CD drive in Vista...........It's there in the BIOS, and works in DOS.

So..........I have the startup disks for Vista...........But would it be worth buying Win 7?? and installing that........unless there's an easier way to get back control over the CD drive

MUCH THANKS
Carol

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
PS the error code I found in Windows Device Manager was Code 10

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the cdrom drive seen in My Computer?

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
No - Just C & D drives, yet it works and loads programs in DOS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi
Did the first 2 steps - the driver was reinstalled - the CDGONE didn't unzip, and when in the zip directory, MERGE didn't show up with either a right click or double click - the E drive icon showed up, but went South again - wouldn't read a disk but you could hear the drive working.

in the ATAPI there are 6 IDE channels NOT NUMBERED just the same thing duplicated 5 times.........and the HD controller - didn't mess with ANY of that so far

I have the rescue discs originally created when I first got this beast. If used, will it wipe out any of the installed programs, or will it even help??

Thx
Carol

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
PS I've used REGEDIT before - if that i needed - I can follow an explanation - Won't do anything I'm unsure of tho
Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

the CDGONE didn't unzip, and when in the zip directory, MERGE didn't show up with either a right click or double click - the E drive icon showed up, but went South again - wouldn't read a disk but you could hear the drive working.

Was there any error message when trying to unzip it?
Unless you can get it to unzip the merge won't work from within a zipped file.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this also:
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

CODEClick Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Carol D

Carol D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH rshaffer61 and Broni - The regedit worked and I now have my cdrom and it's working!!!!

On My Knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With Praise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I also read in research that Itunes can cause this problem - I had just uninstalled it - so there may be something there.

You Guys Rock!! Thanks Again!!Q

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)