Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot rename or delete video because it is open in windows explorer?

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I've got a stange problem here. I have this .mkv file and I cannot rename/move/delete the file and I'm told it's open in Windows Explorer. Isn't every file technically open in windows explorer when I view it in a folder? Anyways what's even stranger is when I copied the file to my desktop, even the copy is giving me the same problem. I have never had this problem before with an .mkv, any ideas what the problem is here and how I can get past it? I've tried rebooting the machine and everything with no luck. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Unlocker

Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?
It has many other flavors:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Unlocker is the solution!

1. Simply right click the folder or file and select Unlocker

2. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear

3. Simply click Unlock All and you are done!

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I downloaded the program but there is no "Unlocker" option in my right click menu.

Edited by Zook, 22 September 2010 - 01:57 PM.

CosmosKGr

CosmosKGr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, hello from me too!

Ok with "Unlocker" utility but there is something easiest and more generic to do, before that.

Just turn off the windows explorer options (top left button), to not viewing the "Details" and the "Preview" panes.
It works fine for me, with exactly the same "crazy" problem!

Just tell us if you try it with success!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you download it and install the program?
If you did then the Unlock should be in your window when you right click on the file.

boxy

boxy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem yesterday, searched a while on the web and I found a software that helped me, its called WinNc. Install it, find the folder or file, and delete it. You don't even need to close the explorer.

mkmom0

mkmom0

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem now. I saved a MKV movie on my desktop and I can't get rid of it. My unlocker does not work on my windows 7 premium so I downloaded WinNC and it cannot delete it either. It tells me it is open in Explorer and can't delete it. I tried to shut explorer down through task manager and when trying to delete it, I got the message it could not delete it because it was open in Dell.doc. I closed dell doc and then I got the message it was open in task manager! How do I get this off my desktop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and then deleting the file?

mkmom0

mkmom0

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, and it didn't work. On further investigation, I found out that unlocker does not work on the 64bit Windows 7 professional. However, Lockhunter has a 32 and 64 bit version. I downloaded the 64 bit and it worked perfectly. Anyone having this problem must use the 64 bit for 7 professional and the 32 bit for 7 premium.Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job and Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

rvrmnt

rvrmnt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unlockeris definately the solution!

Download here: http://www.filehippo...nload_unlocker/

Copy and paste to your browser. Download free file. Donate if you wish.
Works great!

rvrmnt

rvrmnt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unlocker has a 64 bit version for Win 7. Just scroll down the page to find the correct version. It definately works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Unlocker has a 64 bit version for Win 7. Just scroll down the page to find the correct version. It definately works.

Thanks for the update and now we can help others with a 84 bit OS. :thumbsup: