Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loop of Death

• Please log in to reply

Kinipela21

Kinipela21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Anyone with ideas and help would be great as I am NOT computer savy!

So here is what happened, last week my computer was going through a windows update and my power went out and so when it says "do not turn off computer" well the computer was turned off.

So now when I try to boot up I get through the boot up screen and the screen that shows windows xp loading. then the black screen of death comes up saying your computer was improperly shut down yadda yadda then asks me to start in safe mode,last best configuration, or normally. Now I have tried ALL of the options on that screen and the same thing happens it thinks about it then I just start over back at the boot screen. Its a prepatual loop where I can't get anywhere.

I do have my XP CD and have tried this http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/ but I never get to the repair part after I accept the terms I get this

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

and then a list of my C and D drives

I am trying to restore the computer with as much data as possible I have alot of important photos on there some of which were recently uploaded and haven't been backed up in another location eep!!!!

I am greatful for any help and guidance to you computer wizz out there!!

Edited by Kinipela21, 22 September 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot with your CD to recovery console (press R when given the option). When asked for windows installation type 1 and then Enter. When asked for password write your password or press Enter if you don't have one. At the prompt type chads /r (note the space before /) and press enter. Let checkdisk run to the end without interruption. It may take a long time, depending on disk size and condition.