Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS not recognizing SATA HDD/SATA Devices

• Please log in to reply

CrazyMike228

CrazyMike228

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Mobo- MSI 890GXM-G65
CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965
RAM - OCZ AMD Black Edition 2x2g
VGA - ATI HD5770
HDD - Seagate 320g
PSU - Thermaltake 850w
OS - Windows Vista x32

OK I'll start from the beginning. My old seagate HD had a bad SMART error and my CD drive wasn't recognizing CDs so I went out and bought a 320g Seagate and a new LG CD drive. I got home and hooked everything up and it could not recognize the HD. It could read the CD drive because it's an IDE. I'm trying a fresh install of Vista onto a blank HD but it can't due to bios and the computer itself not recognizing a HD connected. I had the ASUS 79xtd mobo and the same thing happened, Geek Squad told me it was a bad mobo so I returned it and bought the MSI board. I took it back to the Geek Squad. I was there for about 4 hours, they tried EVERYTHING, and they couldn't come up with anything. The only problem is BIOS not recognizing any SATA devices. We tried putting in a SATA CD drive and it couldn't pick up on that either. Geek Squad made sure BIOS had the right settings and everything.

I am pulling my hair out here, I have no idea what could possibly be wrong. This is the 3rd mobo I've had, with the first ASUS being DOA, so unless I'm incredibly unlucky with mobos I don't know what else to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The only requirement for the drives to be recognized is...
Good Power Supply
Good drive
Good Sata cable
Good Motherboard

If Geek Squad can spend 4 hours of "hands on" work and not succeed in having any Sata drive recognized by the bios, then my only guess is you have another bad motherboard, however unlikely that sounds.

Of course, another option is that something, either the hard drive, or something else is blowing up the Sata controller of every new motherboard every time you power up and attempt to check if the drive is recognized.