Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange KV7-V Problem

• Please log in to reply

winfiddler

winfiddler

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I have just bought an ABit Kv7-V MoBo and it won't boot. At first I thought it was the PSU (it would click and whirr for a second then die) so I replaced the PSU with a new 550W model from Qtec. It now comes one and continues to Whirrr but that is it, the monitor doesn't switch from Stand-by mode to Active Mode (so no signal). This lead me to think it was the Graphics board not getting the required Voltage so I have replaced that with a new one that is AGP 8x (0.8v I think, but could be 1.6v which is still good with the MoBo). The only thing I can now think of is that the CPU is dead. I don't actually have any way of checking this as the only other Socket A CPU I have is my old Duron900.

Sys:
Abit Kv7-V
768MB 333MHz RAM
20GB HDD and 40GB HDD
CD+RW drive
DVD-ROM drive
550W PSU
Nvidia 128MB FX5200

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
what cpu chip do you have?
:tazz:

winfiddler

winfiddler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Doh! I knew I'd forget to list something. lol
It is and Athlon 2200+.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Do you have the small 12v 4 pin power pluged in I have seen some miss this power plug in?

winfiddler

winfiddler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yep That is Plugged in.
I have now phoned the supplier and they have agreed to take it back. I found that other users of this board are having similar trouble so I am gonna get a different one.
Thanks you for your replies, could you recommend a board?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
I like the soyo MB I have two system running them and they work great

winfiddler

winfiddler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cool. Thanks again for your time.
This forum actually gives me the buzz I felt when I started in Computers. Haven't felt it in a long while. I think I might stick around for a while.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
Have you tried to boot it with just one stick of ram, video no hard drives or cdrom or floopy pluged in to see if it well boot at all.?

winfiddler

winfiddler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope, gave up in the end. I only replaced the MoBo to start with cos I slipped with a screwdriver on the old one. Then I had to get the new PSU and the costs started stacking up. I just gave up.