Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Final Fantasy XIV Upgrade Possible?

• Please log in to reply

KuruptOwnz

KuruptOwnz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

I have a Gateway GM5664 PC and wondering if it's possible to upgrade the PC itself to run FFXIV?

http://www.amazon.co...sl_8x32mvt0dz_b

Thanks!

Advertisements

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
here's a benchmark test from Square Enix
http://www.finalfant...a/benchmark/na/
run it and see, they recommend a minimum score of 1500, but I've heard that you can play with as low as a 750ish. You'll probably be able to run the game, just not on high settings

KuruptOwnz

KuruptOwnz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran it on low settings, but my score was 303.

I'm wondering if this PC would be able to be upgraded in terms of a video card without having to get a new tower, etc... I'm trying to avoid buying a new PC. :/

Thanks.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
From the specs on Amazon for your existing PC, the processor should still be okay for FFXIV, More RAM never hurts (always helps!) and with a higher end video card you will probably be able to run it just fine. Note also that you may need to get a higher power PSU to be able to run a higher GPU, as most Gateway/Dell/Acer style PCs have barely above the minimum required for the parts they leave the factory with.

KuruptOwnz

KuruptOwnz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

From the specs on Amazon for your existing PC, the processor should still be okay for FFXIV, More RAM never hurts (always helps!) and with a higher end video card you will probably be able to run it just fine. Note also that you may need to get a higher power PSU to be able to run a higher GPU, as most Gateway/Dell/Acer style PCs have barely above the minimum required for the parts they leave the factory with.

For those of us who are newer, what exactly is that? Heh.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Power Supply Unit. My Dell came with a 250w power supply. If I ever wanted to upgrade anything, I would have needed a power supply that could handle at least 400-500 watts

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Here are the specs for the power supply in your computer;
Gateway GM5664 Power Supply

ATX-400GW (Bestec ATX-400GW S1R)
No power upgrade options.
Notes: Original power rating 400W, part numbers 6506042R, 6506043R, 6506070R.
As Oberon75 said they are far from the best and it limits the choice of new
video card you can install