Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Red Dots - Help Please

• Please log in to reply

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey guys (and girls if there are any :D )

I've been having these wierd red dots popping up on my screen from now and then. When it first comes, it comes over my whole screen. They are like the ultimate epelepsi attack. Really annoying.. but anyways, i can have any program or site up and the dots are still there. When i switch my picture over from the pc screen to the tv, everything is fine. I really have no idea what this is.. When i'm @ any internett browser, there aren't any dots, but instead there are like these blueish(teal) lines over my whole screen. I don't know much about computer hardware etc, so you guys got to give me advice in with a spoon. ;)
Any tips, hints, help would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Ren0lz :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
Possible causes, failing video card, psu, heat to name just a couple.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey,

thanks for the reply. I'm running on a desktop, kinda cutom built (its a gamer pc witch a store in town puts together). It's windows vista home premium.
My prossesor is: Intel Core 2 duo cpu E675 @ 2,66GHz. It has a 3gig ram and is a 32bit.
My screencard is: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS. Its an ACPI x86-based pc (whatever that means :D )

Does any of that help? ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes the info gives us something to work with.
Couple of questions, how old is the computer and when (if ever)was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out, dust and clogged up or non working fans have various symptoms all caused by heat.
If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold fans still whilst cleaning.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks alot man! i'll give it a shot after school tomorrow and i'll get back to ya :D

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey again,

Sorry for the late reply. I followed ur guide here step by step and did all of the things u mentioned above here. After booting up it seemed fine for about 10 minutes (that's kinda usual) And the red dots appared again. I think it may have something to do with my screen actualy :D I looked up this red dots on other forums and they often say it may be the screen and they talk about these "dead pixels" and that they need to buy a new screen etc. Any suggestions? ;)

Ren0lz-

Edited by Ren0lz, 26 September 2010 - 09:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I would say it is too early to suspect your screen is bad dead pixels do not come and go they are just that dead, fortunately there are other things we can check first and the most obvious one is connect the computer to another PC screen (not the TV you say it doesnt happen with that.
Use GPUZ to check out your graphics card http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html and then download and run Speedfan, post a screen shot and this will allow your temps and voltages to be checked http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

EDIT: Did you make a note of the PSU details! If not can you do so and include them in your next post.

Edited by phillpower2, 26 September 2010 - 10:22 AM.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey,

Heres two screenshots of the Speedfan and the GPU-Z:

Posted Image
Posted Image

PSU details? ;) What do you mean by that? you mean the model number of the computer? If so:
MODEL NO: IP-P460Q3-2
Switching Power Supply: 4600W OUTPUT

Did any of this help? :D

Edited by Ren0lz, 26 September 2010 - 01:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok, Speedfan is only showing the processor fan working and it is turning way to slow meaning that the temperature of the chip is creeping up, the video card temperature is also getting rather hot.
Has the computer got any case fans built in?
Increase the Speedfan settings manually from 55 to 100% and 22 to 100% and see if it makes a difference.

Switching Power Supply: 4600W OUTPUT

Do you mean 460W and does it have a manufacturers name on it, it will help us establish the quality of it.
I may be wrong but I think we are looking at a cooling issue, leave the side off the computer next time you boot up and check that all fans are working including the video cards.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tryed to put the values on the speedfan up to 100% but there was no dirrerence on the numbers showing except 1 up or down on something like it allways does.

I tryed to take of the sides of the computer and then the GPU value on the speedfan decreased from 65 to 59 (that's kinda good, isn't it?)

The computer have the regular fan, + a wierd fan inside the box witch shows the the PCU information. Its high up in the pc, with some spiral steel lattice under it, so i can't reach in. (dunno what that is)

On that "wierd" fan box it ses besides the PCU:
ATX 12V V2.2 ACTIVE PFC

It also shows some values like:
AC INPUT: 115-230V-,7A ,60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT: +3,3V | +12v(1) | +12V(2) | -12V | +5Vsb | 30.0A | 32.0A | 16.0A | 0.6A | 2.5A | 160W | 320W | 19.7W | 460W

Yes, i ment 460W not 4600 soz :D

Does any of this help? ;)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you post another Speedfan screenshot with the fan speeds set to 100% and the side off the case.
Any improvement with the red dots when the video cards temperature dropped from 65 t0 59?
Did you check that the fan on the video card was working, this is important due to the poor overall
cooling of your system, as there is no fan extracting the warm air from inside the case it is just
being moved around inside resulting in the system getting hot, I suggest you fit a case fan such as
the one at the attached link, be sure you measure whether you need an 80mm or 120mm size fan, these
fans plug into a header on the MB so you will also need to check if this is a 3 or 4 pin type!
http://www.cclonline...5823&tid=frooct

On that "wierd" fan box it ses besides the PCU:
ATX 12V V2.2 ACTIVE PFC

This is the power supply unit (psu) and the fan will have minimal if any effect on cooling the system down.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Posted Image

Its impossible to say if there is any improvement on the red dots, cause they just come and go as they want it seems ;)

How do i know if i need an 80mm or 120mm size fan? and how do i know if its a 3 or 4 pin size? :D

The video card fan is the little one sitting like in the middle of my computer right? the other one is just spreading some cooling air down into the computer.
Anyways, both of those fans are working but i don't know what fan is the video card one ;)

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This screenshot was taking like 5 minutes after the one above:

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Here is a link to an example of your video card (the brand name is not important) http://www.trustedre...800GTS-320MB/p1
If you look at the video card on the right it has got OC on the fan, this is what
we need to make sure is working on your card.
If you look at the core 0 and core 1 temps in both screen shots they have both come
down and appear stable and the GPU temp has dropped further all good signs.

The video card fan is the little one sitting like in the middle of my computer right

Incorrect, this is the CPU fan.

the other one is just spreading some cooling air down into the computer

This needs to be extracting the warm air not circulating it.

How do i know if i need an 80mm or 120mm size fan? and how do i know if its a 3 or 4 pin size

I will post the instructions for this in the morning as I need to call it a day now.
Can you post your motherboard details for me so I can try and find a user manual for the fan details.
For now leave it running with the side off and see if the red spots re-appear.

Ren0lz

Ren0lz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

By motherboard details you mean this?

I have kept it running with the side panel off, but it seems it keep apparing from time to time :D