Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless interference problems.

• Please log in to reply

ropeadopa

ropeadopa

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi I have a linksys/cisco wireless-g adapter and for the longest time it's been practically useless due to the packet loss I get.

I'm quite sure its packetloss due to the long times/missing packets when pinging the router. This adapter is relatively new, maybe a year old for 60 bucks, and has proper win7 64 bit drivers installed.

Can I purchase a better adapter to fix this problem? What do you recommend??? The adapter is downstairs and the router is upstairs now, does that matter? The thing is the space between them is still not very far. And I don't think there is much/if any electrical interference.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do you have any other wireless equipment around that may interfere?
Things such as cordless telephones that work in the 2.4Ghz portion of the spectrum, wireless TV/audio receivers, microwaves... etc?

ropeadopa

ropeadopa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
2.4 ghz? i'll check but im pretty sure not. Its not a big house but that phone isnt near the router or computer too much anyway.

No, nothing wireless other than the router and adapter. the routers a standard cisco/linksys. relatively new. My computer is plugged into this router directly and it runs smooth.

I just dont want to go out and drop another 50-60 on an adapter or wireless card if its possibly something else.

ropeadopa

ropeadopa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
We recently purchased a new adapter and router and the exact same things are happening. It's supposed to be resistant to interference.

There is an option to change the band to 5ghz but I would need to purchase another new adapter.

It doesn't make sense because if its not distance and its not interference I don't know what else it could be.

The internet on the wifi computer just keeps going out and just has too much packet loss.