Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Western Digital MyBook 300GB Not showing up.

• Please log in to reply

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hey guys, I'm using a Western Digital 300GB external hard drive. It's about two or three years old, and all of a sudden one day the drive letter just stopped showing up. I know it's there because when I opened up the Vista peripherals and hardware window, it showed the drive as WD. I tried a shorter cable, using different outlets and USB ports, and nothing seems to work.

Advertisements

Angst

Angst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Glad to see the overwhelming amount of replies.

I tried another power cord and the hard drive is just clicking. Shall I try to put it in another enclosure? The only thing about that that I'm worried about is I don't want to break the whole thing if a higher power source is all that's required.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for your wait as we have been very busy. The clicking you are hearing may be what is often referred to as The Click of death and usually means the drive is failing or had failed.
In your case it sounds like ti has failed.
Since you have tried different cables with no success then the other option is to either try it on another system or remove the drive from the enclosure and try to slave it in a system and see if it works then. If still no joy then I would believe the drive has failed.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Glad to see the overwhelming amount of replies.

I tried another power cord and the hard drive is just clicking. Shall I try to put it in another enclosure? The only thing about that that I'm worried about is I don't want to break the whole thing if a higher power source is all that's required.

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1904961

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what the link is for as the original post here indicated a clicking sound as I mentioned in my post.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Not sure what the link is for as the original post here indicated a clicking sound as I mentioned in my post.

missed the clicking part

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we all have done it at one time or another.