Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

about blank

• Please log in to reply

dianel

dianel

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am infected with this about blank virus. I tried to download hijackthis and was not able. I have no internet explorer use and don't know what to do. This thing has itself buried deep I think.

thanks

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi dianel

Sorry to hear about your problem.
  • Why can't you download Hijack This? Browser problems too bad?
  • Do you have any browser other than IE?
  • Do you have access to another machine you can use which works? If so does it have a CD R\W?
  • Can you download Hijack This on another machine and copy to a floppy?
  • Do you have adware and spybot S&D installed, if so please scan your system with one and then the other. Be sure to check for updates first on both.
  • What Anti-virus are you using? Is it up to date, and have you scanned with it?
  • Have you tried online virus scans? You can use one of the 2 below,
    TrendMicro's HouseCall
    ActiveScan
  • Do you have a download manager? If so can you use it to download Hijack This.
  • Do you use any IM service like AIM, Yahoo messenger, or MSN? if so I can go online and send you the Zip File that way?
So the first thing we need to do is to install Hijack this on your machine because About Blank can be tricky to deal with. Once we get that accomplished, I'll suggest you post a Hijack This Log in the right forum to help you remove About blank

Edited by StarHawk, 25 May 2005 - 08:10 AM.

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
my daughter is the talkative with aim.

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
when I use the floppy to download hijack this it ask me what do I want to use to open it. I am not sure what to use. Another time it told me hijackthis was not a valid win32 so I am really lost
any suggestions?

dianel

dianel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
when I use the floppy to download hijack this it ask me what do I want to use to open it. I am not sure what to use. Another time it told me hijackthis was not a valid win32 so I am really lost
any suggestions?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
It's a Zip file. You need a program to unzip it. Since your system doesn't seem to have an association associated with Zip files, I'll assume you don't have Win 98 Plus! which adds that or WinZip a program for dealing with Zip Files. I'm currently signed into aim as starhawk2130, IM me and I'll send the file unzipped.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I just send you Hijack This unzipped. I need you to create a folder on your computer to store it in. It needs it own folder because it makes back up copies before changes in case you might need to restore something.

Open My Computer. Now open your C: drive. Click File and then New in the My Computer menu. Choose Folder. A folder will be created in the C: drive named New Folder the name should be highlighted. Rename it to HJT and press enter.

transfer Hijack this to that folder. Now see the instructions here .

Since you probably can't downlaod and install all the stuff we ask just focus on what you can do. try to do every step you can tho. In Particular be sure to follow Step 5, and post your log in the malware forum, Click Here to visit that forum and click post new topic there. Place your log there, descripe your problem and tell them which Steps you couldn't follow, and post a link to this thread, it is
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28713&st=0&p=140829&#entry140829
Just cut and copy that whole thing, http://.... into your post.

Edited by StarHawk, 25 May 2005 - 02:16 PM.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
dianel

When you get your computer clean, you should consider downloading a Zip file manager. The windows classic is WinZip, another popular program is StuffIt but I use 7-Zip File Manager WinZip and Stuffit both have free trials after that you got to pay, but 7-Zip is free. 7-Zip supports the following file formats :7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB. Zip files are extremely common and every one needs a Zip program. :tazz:

I also like Windows 98 Plus! since it includes:

Compressed Folders - Compressed Folders adds support for the ZIP file format to the Explorer shell, causing ZIP files to appear as folders (with a zipper on them, naturally). Compressed Folders makes working with the popular ZIP format easy, as you don't have to learn how to use a new (and confusing) interface: ZIP folders open like any other folder, letting you view and even execute programs inside of the archive. Best of all, Compressed Folders work along size any other ZIP programs you might use, such as WinZIP or PKUNZIP. Regardless, it doesn't take a lot of time with Compressed Folders to make you realize that this is the way to go. This is almost worth the price of Plus! 98 by itself.

I consider it a part of Win 98 and sometimes forget not all 98 systems include it, really it's a Microsoft add on.

Edited by StarHawk, 25 May 2005 - 06:09 PM.