Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

refomat problem

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i have the xp disc in my cd rom, and when i ran it from there, i do not have the options to repair.

All i have is as well... first screen, telling me to press f6 if i wanna install a 3rd party program, second step tells me to press f2 if i want to run automated system recovery, and the last being the partition, C and D drive.

That is the end, i tried using the C partition, after a while, it finishes and it restarted itself back to the same old process. I tried the second option as well, pressing f2 for automated system recovery, however it prompts me for a system recovery diskette, which obviously i do not have.

And as for the first option, when i pressed f6, nothing even happen. Thats all i have, and it seems like to cant even reformat my comp. However there is only one unpartition drive, being C drive, which i figure wouldnt help at all. So basically i cant repair, nor can i recover.

Any clue whats wrong?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just what, exactly, are you trying to do??

Murray

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
im trying to repair my comp, going into recovery. In a worse scenerio, i would settle for a reformat, but im not getting of these options.

Btw, ca i just delete the partitions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not all windows disks have all options...Some OEM disks are limited. So, first we need to know what kind of windows disk do you have?

Is there data on this disk you wish to recover?

If not, yes, you can delete the partition and then allow windows to reinstall from scratch.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Somtimes the option to do a repair install does not show for various reasons like the OS being badly damaged beyond repair. There are other reasons, ill have to check my info to find the website that tells of this situation. ill get back to you, theres another option for you if you have not formatted the hard drive yet, did you?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i've actually reformated, i did not delete any partition tho, all i did was pressing enter on C: under the partition part, and installed xp from there. Most of my stuffs arent gone, but comp is working fine which is good. however i do have other problems which i described in another thrend.

Heres what i posted in the other thrend.

"ok i've actually done that by luck, just tried my luck since i was lost without help earlier. I got comp working, however i realise that my internet and comp is working slowly.

I did not reinstall anything tho, cos this is the first time i'e reformat my comp, and i dunno what to reinstall. For some reason i was about to get my internet to work without installing its driver.

Furthermore, i did not install my mainboard utitlity cos i believe i've lost the disc, and i cant seem to install win office even tho i've the disc. When i put the disc in, it did not install itself and there are far too many setups when i explore it. Do i have to install one by one?"

Feel free to reply in the other thrend as it can be confusing, but w/e, i just need help =)

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If youve formatted, to my understanding, the formatted part of the hard drive is clean. Which means, no more visible data in that area. Theres a chance some of the data is still on the hard drive and may be retreived, however, its a difficult process and requires a rescue disk with utilitys on it that can recover data from the unused portions of the hard drive. Barts PE is a good rescue disk.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You need the motherboard drivers, for certain.

You did not link the other thread.

BartsPE is a great tool, but I don't recall the default install having any data recovery software? As it is, if you formatted and reinstalled windows, you're dealing with painful recovery of data fragments....best left to an expert....

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
It does not have any data recovery software gerry, it would have to be installed and configured to work in PE. theres several applications that work and have modules for PE.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
http://www.geekstogo...omp-t28674.html

That is my other link

Ok, im certain i did not install my motherboard drivers cos i lost it somehow. However what are the effects of not installing my motherboard drivers? Atm im experiencing some minor lag, and the driver can solve this problem?

Also, is there a way i can get the installation online?

Btw, can someone list some critical stuffs that i should download or install at least i know what im missing. Atm i know i need avg, spyware, zone alarm, win office, motherboard driver, is that all? Is there a sound driver cos i realised that my comp is making noises from the cpu instead of my speakers =/