Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone know how to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without lose dat

• Please log in to reply

IP Man

IP Man

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
I am having problem with my partition at the moment. I have dual boot Windows XP Prof and Windows server 2008 at home. I wanted create tri boot operating system so I tried creating another partition in windows server 2008 but accidentally that I created Dynamic disk instead of Basic disk.
It mean my windows XP Prof can not start again as dynamic disk can run 1 operating system.
I have researched, the only way to convert back to basic disk I have to delete volume or using another third party software to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without loss my data but it is no free.

Can anyone have other solutions?

I appreciate for any help. :D

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Don't ask me why this works (I never did figure it out), but use something like Norton Ghost to clone the drive to a new hard drive.
Then when you connect the drive you've ghosted to back up, the "dynamic" disk has now become a basic disk again.

This worked for me as a data drive but I haven't tried it as a boot drive. In theory it should work.

IP Man

IP Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. :D
I do not have experience to use Norton Ghost.
Do you mind to explain it to me step by steps? or how to use it?

Thanks. ;)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Everything you need to know and then some more about Norton Ghost:
http://ghost.radified.com/

IP Man

IP Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your help.
Finally, I solved my problem. I did not use Norton Ghost but I use Easeus Partition Manager to convert from dynamic disk to basic disk.

Thanks again for your help. :D

hmmstefanie

hmmstefanie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can try the AOMEI DDC, an powerful Dynamic Disk Converter. what's more, you can see the detailed operating steps at