Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No wireless networks were found in range?

• Please log in to reply

strutsam

strutsam

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all

Background (may be unnecessary)

My problems started two days ago and help would be much appreciated. It started off like this:
I had network connectivity (the two little computers in the bottom right hand of the screen didn't have a red x on them) but when I started my web browser it didn't work (had the message "This web page is not available...")
I think I then disconnected the internet connection and then tried to restart the internet but it didn't work. I then restarted the computer and Avast antivirus wasn't working properly. By this stage I had no internet connectivity. Avast was saying my firewall might be stopping Avast from loading up properly. I tried to load up the components of avast that weren't working properly but the buttons like "Fix Now" weren't working at all. So I uninstalled the firewall and avast, re-installed avast but had the same problem even though I didn't have a firewall installed. I ran avast anti-virus, it picked up one virus and I moved it to the chest. Anyhow, I ended up uninstalling avast again. Still no internet connectivity. I went through the whole Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide on Geekstogo but it didn't pick up any viruses.

The problem

So now I've got no internet connectivity. Anyhow, what I have now is what's in the attached network.gif.

network.GIF

When I used to click "Refresh Network List" it used to look for wireless networks in the area. When I press "Refresh Network List" now it doesn't even look for any networks (usually I can see 2 or 3 other networks in the area). It says "make sure the wireless switch on your computer is turned on." As far as I know it is switched on (I've pressed function F5 and there's an antenna looking symbol which is lit up.)
What also might be of interest is I've got a USB wireless adapter and my computer doesn't even pick up the fact that I've connected it even though I know that the Wireless USB adapter works fine.

I've got an IBM Thinkpad 2722, and I run Windows XP.

If you need any other info please let me know.

int.GIF

Hopefully someone can figure this out for me!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
First question is, are you absolutely positive there is a working wireless network within range? If you were using someone else's, it may be turned off. The reason I ask is because it would be a total waste of time ripping up your computer if there is, in fact, no wireless networks within range.

If you're sure, the first thing I'd try is in Device Manager, right click your "Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter" and select "Uninstall". When you reboot, Windows will run through it's 'found new hardware' routine and reinstall and set it up.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a System Restore back to a date before the problem occurred.

Let us know what you find ...

strutsam

strutsam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks doc.

I'm positive that there is a network, I'm working on it right now from another computer.

I did what you said and tried to uninstall "Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter" from the Device Manager but I couldn't actually uninstall the device. I hit uninstall and then ok and then the computer hangs and does nothing. So after 5 minutes I try to move the mouse around and I get the sand through the hour glass symbol when the mouse is hovered over the "Device Manager" or "confirm device removal". So I cancelled the action and got the "This program is not responding" message. I then tried again, same result so I restarted the computer and tried again but got exactly the same result.

I've got no idea why that would happen. What should I do now?

Thanks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try a System Restore back to a date before the problem occurred.

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

strutsam

strutsam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not having much luck at all.

I've tried 3 different dates and have got the following result every time:

sysrestore.GIF

What should I do now?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Get to a cmd prompt and run the command:

sfc /scannow

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.micro....com/kb/310747/

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

Then reboot and try the 'uninstall' again.

strutsam

strutsam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I try to do that it asks for an installation disk which i don't have. I bought the laptop off a friend.
How do I make it read from the cache "it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache)" as opposed to the installation disk?

Thanks for your help!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Don't really know, I've always had access to a disc.

If it determines that the files in %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache are corrupt, it will need access to a Windows CD in order to do its job.

Can't you borrow one?