Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions on formating my laptop to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi everyone ;)

I have a old laptop: IBM T60 which has been with me for 6 years and its still working! ;)

Unfortunately, my laptop wireless drivers being disabled and since I have a genuine windows 7 disk I would like to reformat it.

Qns is:

If i right click on my C drive now and I press format, the whole laptop shuts down? Or how should I go about formatting in a step by step way?

If I install windows 7, I presume all my laptop drivers are gone? If so, which ones do I have to download under this link ? http://www-307.ibm.c...migr-62928.html

Hope to get a quick reply ;)

PS: I'm not really which section to post my topic here, but since I am going to install windows 7 I presume its here :D

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Installing Windows 7

Boot your PC from your Windows 7 DVD and then follow the steps to install Windows 7. During setup you can either install Windows 7 to a separate partition or wipe out a previous version of Windows. Whichever way you do it, Windows will automatically handle the formatting.

After Windows 7 is set up, and you've booted into the desktop, type activate in Start Menu Search to bring up the Activate Windows utility and type in your product key to activate Windows.

Then, run Windows Update, download any pending updates, reboot as needed, and repeat ... until there are no more updates.

That's it, you're done ... with installing Windows 7. :D

--

Drivers

Look in Device Manager for any yellow splats ("!"). If you see one, for say the 'xyz' wireless adapter, then you need the 'xyz' wireless adapter driver for your specific version of Windows 7, (32-bit or 64-bit). Download and install it and then reboot. Repeat until there are no more yellow splats.

Then, test each of the hardware devices such as USB/eSATA ports, memory card slot, LAN, Modem, VGA/DVI, PCMCIA/CardBus/ExpressCard slot(s), Fingerprint reader, etc. If one of them isn't working, download and install the driver/software for your version of Windows 7.

--

Updates/Patches

I usually download and install all applicable updates/patches.

--

Other utilities

If you see something else you'd like to have on that IBM/Lenovo page, and it's designed to work with your specific version of Windows 7, (32-bit or 64-bit), download and install it.

--

You're now ready to install, setup and tweak all of your defenses, ('anti'-virus/-malware/-evil/-annoying type stuff).

--

And finally, once you get it all working just exactly the way you want it, do a complete (verified) backup.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Hey there SpwareDr!

Thanks for the info!

May I know that if the process is still the same I wan to install vista too ?

Jordi Ruiz

Jordi Ruiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello TiFa LoCkHeArT, the steps to install Vista and 7 are very similar but if your PC is 6 years old I recommend you don't try to install Vista on it. Windows Vista needs a lot of RAM to work fine

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Hey there SpwareDr!

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome TiFa. :D

May I know that if the process is still the same I wan to install vista too ?

Yes, it's pretty much the same for XP, Vista and 7. I agree with Jordi though. If possible, use Windows 7.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey Jordi Ruiz! Thanks for replying ;)

Unfortunately, I can only gain access to 1 genuine key for windows 7 but i wanted that on my pc which is still vista though ;)

Do u think I should install it to my laptop still ? :D

So the only so called "Free" OS I have now is vista hahahs! ;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before attempting a Win 7 upgrade I suggest you go to Microsoft and run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor.
This will tell you if there will be any issues with your hardware or software currently on your system.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi there rshaffer61! :D

oo I see!!! Thanks! ;)