Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F8 Does not work

• Please log in to reply

spirit12

spirit12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have read most of answers on F8. I have tried for past 2 hrs hitting F8 & does not work. Vista with Gateway desktop GM, it's 2 yrs old. F2 & F10 work. There ar 3 options on F10 & I tried all of them, nothing. Is there any other way I can get to safe mode, or any mode?

thanks for any advice

JJ

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
one drastic way might be to unplug your power cord as your are in the load up screen of Vista, when you restart it might tell you that the last session did not end correctly and you should be in the menu to choose restart normally, last known configuration, safe mode ect.

On my computer i have to press F8 as soon as my Bios post ends (before it brings me to the boot device options) I have maybe a 1 second margin when i can press it before the Windows load up screen appears.

Jordi Ruiz

Jordi Ruiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, your keyboard is OK? Are you sure that the F8 key is not broken?

The Alzeimer solution is valid, but use on your own risk. Probably you can't restart Windows anymore, unplugging your PC when are booting could damage system files.

spirit12

spirit12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. Keyboard is working. At this point I will try anything. Is there a boot disk for Vista?

JJ

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try pressing it more then once after the POST screen. Its very easy to miss that window where F8 needs to be pressed.

Worse comes to worse follow Alzeimers advice.