Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen with Display Adapter Failure.

• Please log in to reply

Martyn*

Martyn*

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I got a new PC from my stepdad two days ago, and I've only today started to use Microsoft Office, web editors, and going from one document to the other, etc, etc. I noticed that every so often whilst I'm going back and forth from file to file and doing general tasks, the screen monitor blacks-out, and a message appears, like this: ATI Radeon Family display driver failed and has now recovered.

I have no idea why it keeps doing it. It is annoying to say the least.

I guess, from doing a little research, I need to install drivers or update them, but I was warned by my stepdad not to mess about with stuff I know nothing about. He never mentioned this problem to me, although I did buy it from him for £150, and it is a good computer, well, better than the Vista last one I had.

Any theories on this display adapter error?

Edited by Martyn*, 27 September 2010 - 06:31 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
You can use the software at the attached link to find some of the info we
need http://www.piriform.com/speccy please take the time to read the info
which explains what Speccy does first.

Martyn*

Martyn*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.
You can use the software at the attached link to find some of the info we
need http://www.piriform.com/speccy please take the time to read the info
which explains what Speccy does first.

Thanks!

I hope you don't mind me putting the specs in a text file (see attachment)?

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The video card may not be the issue here or indeed the video cards drivers.
The first thing I noticed in the system information that you have provided
was you are running Windows7 64bit and this requires 2GB of Ram and you only
have 1GB installed (2x512MB sticks), some video cards especially older ones
use the systems Ram and if your card is doing this whilst you have large/MS
Office applications open it may be over burdening your Ram.
Below is some information on Windows7 memory requirements;

Update - Windows 7 Memory Requirements
Since the time this article was first published, Windows 7 has been officially released and Microsoft has announced the memory requirements. Basically, Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit versions of the operating system and a minimum of 2 GB for 64-bit versions. If you plan on taking advantage of the Windows XP Mode feature, you should bump those requirements up to include an additional 1 GB of RAM.
Read more: http://www.brighthub...x#ixzz10k2z0edU

ATI Radeon Family display driver failed and has now recovered

One common suggestion I have seen for resolving this issue is to use Windows generic drivers, but if it is an insufficient amount of Ram installed then this will make no difference!
Does the system run ok at other times, try playing a game for example as this will put the video card and its drivers under load, let us know how it goes when playing a game.

Martyn*

Martyn*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I only have 1 GB installed. Can't be right...? My stpedad told me there is at least 3GB. Mind you, I know he's a con-man anyway. Perhaps I should purchase more RAM. What do you recommend?

I played one of the pre-installed games and they work okay. No problems. I don't have any big games (i.e. Civilisation III or Sims 3) installed on this PC. I'm not really into games on the PC, cos I already have a games console.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Use this link to the Crucial memory site and have it scan your computer, it will tell you what memory you have installed at the moment and what the maximum you can install is, there is no need to purchase from there but you might want to write the recommendations down for yourself so you can shop around for the best deal, it is always advisable to purchase Ram sticks in pairs to avoid compatability issues (Ram can be temperemental).
http://www.crucial.c...:20100901184937

What do you recommend?

Do the Crucial scan and decide for yourself if you are willing to pay out for 2GB of Ram to be able to continue using the Windows7 64bit, I would then provide your stepdad with the evidence and ask him for the money back to purchase the Ram or for a full refund, but hey thats what I would do.

I played one of the pre-installed games and they work okay. No problems. I don't have any big games (i.e. Civilisation III or Sims 3) installed on this PC. I'm not really into games on the PC, cos I already have a games console.

These games are not demanding enough to have any affect, only something that puts a demand on the computer will do, try watching a you tube video or download a free game off the net.
Here is what Speccy reported about your system Ram, I have underlined it;

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2 Used memory slots 2 Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 1024 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 265.3 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 4 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1 Type DDR2
Size 512 MBytes
Manufacturer Micron Technology
Max Bandwidth PC2-4300 (266 MHz)
Part Number 4HTF6464AY-53EE1
Serial Number DE00339E
Week/year 50 / 06
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 12
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 9
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V
Slot #2 Type DDR2
Size 512 MBytes Manufacturer Micron Technology
Serial Number DE0033A6
Week/year 50 / 06
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 12
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 9
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V

Also here is a link to a picture of your MB, it shows the maximum capacity of the board to be 2GB;
http://www.adverts.i...75-motherboard/

Martyn*

Martyn*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Use this link to the Crucial memory site and have it scan your computer, it will tell you what memory you have installed at the moment and what the maximum you can install is, there is no need to purchase from there but you might want to write the recommendations down for yourself so you can shop around for the best deal, it is always advisable to purchase Ram sticks in pairs to avoid compatability issues (Ram can be temperemental).
http://www.crucial.c...:20100901184937

What do you recommend?

Do the Crucial scan and decide for yourself if you are willing to pay out for 2GB of Ram to be able to continue using the Windows7 64bit, I would then provide your stepdad with the evidence and ask him for the money back to purchase the Ram or for a full refund, but hey thats what I would do.

These games are not demanding enough to have any affect, only something that puts a demand on the computer will do, try watching a you tube video or download a free game off the net.
Here is what Speccy reported about your system Ram, I have underlined it;

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2 Used memory slots 2 Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 1024 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 265.3 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 4 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1 Type DDR2
Size 512 MBytes
Manufacturer Micron Technology
Serial Number DE00339E
Week/year 50 / 06
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 12
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 9
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V
Slot #2 Type DDR2
Size 512 MBytes Manufacturer Micron Technology
Serial Number DE0033A6
Week/year 50 / 06
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 12
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 9
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V

Also here is a link to a picture of your MB, it shows the maximum capacity of the board to be 2GB;
http://www.adverts.i...75-motherboard/

I ran the scan and I've attached the results below. Can you look at it for me, so that I can be sure I need to purchase 2GB? I think I do need 2GB. Is that the maximum I can have?

Attached Files

Edited by Martyn*, 27 September 2010 - 03:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes your board will hold 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 and that is the maximum the board can hold, is this what you are planning on doing?
Don`t forget to try this

you tube video or download a free game off the net.

to see if you can re-create the black-outs.

Martyn*

Martyn*

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes your board will hold 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 and that is the maximum the board can hold, is this what you are planning on doing?
Don`t forget to try this

I spoke to my stepdad today, and he told me that the problem was not with the RAM or lack of it, but that the monitor that I am using is analogue, and hence the conflict. I don't know if that is true, but it could be. He said that I don't need RAM, I have enough, he says.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Don`t forget to try this

I spoke to my stepdad today, and he told me that the problem was not with the RAM or lack of it, but that the monitor that I am using is analogue, and hence the conflict. I don't know if that is true, but it could be. He said that I don't need RAM, I have enough, he says.

Sorry but didn`t he also tell you that the computer you were purchasing off him had 3GB of Ram installed!!!!
The monitor has nothing to do with it, the video card would affect the monitor/the image on it and this is being affected by the lack of adequate Ram in your computer, see post #4 Ram requirements for Windows 7.
Use the Microsoft link I have provided, let it scan your system to see if it is capable of running Windows 7 http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx