Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirected from links and searches in firefox

• Please log in to reply

proxli

proxli

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Using Firefox, I was at Yahoo and clicked on one of the local news links that was supposed to go to the Washington Times website. It went to that site, but then after a few seconds went to some other strange ad site. I wasn't sure if I click on an ad on accident, so I went back to Yahoo, clicked on the link again and it went to the same site, but the browser got slow, so I CNTRL-ALT-DEL and ended the program. Restarted Firefox, then Yahoo and tried a different link and another ad site tried to start so I clicked the red X.

I did a full scan with McAfee which found 1 item (I don't remember what it was) and tried Yahoo again and the original link again and it went to a third site that I stopped loading by clicking the red X. I tried this on a different computer and had no problems so I went back to the infected PC and looked at the recent pages tab, which showed Yahoo, the WashTimes article, "Redirect" and then the last ad page which tried to load.

I tried to follow the instructions on topic 2852, the cleaning guide. TFC ran and deleted about 6GB I think. Erunt ran and saved something to the default folder I hope. When I try to save MBAM, I get the error message "The download cannot be saved because an unknown error occurred. Please try again." When I try the MBAM homepage, I get the "Server not found" page. I can still go to msn.com or WashingtonPost.com. I tried downloading from another PC and copying over; but when I try running I get the message "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program." I renamed the file, same message. Downloaded a new copy, renamed, transfered over and got same message. Incidently, I tried going back to yahoo and clicking the same link and now it gives the "Server not found" page instead of redirecting, but just that link. (I can still access the page from another PC but I've noticed a pop up was blocked.) So I gave up and opened this new topic.

Thanks in advance for whoever responds.

Advertisements