Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Recommendations

• Please log in to reply

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I do hope this is an appropriate place to start this thread. Although I am relatively computer savvy in that I can navigate most virus problems using online tools etc, I am a bit in the dark when it comes to buying computers - and I tend to just go for the most expensive one in the belief that it is always the best. This isn't because I think that's smart, but because when I am buying a computer, I am normally buying it in an emergency because my current one has died.

I am now in the market for new desktop - and I am really seeking some advice on what to buy. My computer needs are very simple (I think).

I practically live on the internet - so a good processor is a must, but I also play a lot of games and my current comp is running the radeon 9000 graphic card (or something like that ) and is nowhere near powerful enough. I had looked at the Dell XPS 700 as a possiblility - but that was really just my first port of call.

My computer is also my stereo - so in addition to good graphics capability, I really need blisteringly hot audio - there is an argument that says this is more important than the graphics package.

Finally, we don't own or watch TV in my house - but we do watch a lot of DVDs and subscribe to online movie services so something that can stream effortlessly would be a huge advantage. I know that the streamig thing depends upon the website and your broadband speed, but I do think the computer plays a large part too.

In terms of budget, I really don't mind what is recommended - we don't use Macs though - but I'd be willing to consider them of course - as long as I can transfer all my old movies files over to it! We have a huge external harddrive - so while I'd prefer a computer with a lot of space - It's not the end of the world if it doesn't

I'll use the existing monitor, keyboard, mouse etc - but also willing to consider any recommendations for the full package.

I do hope this is enough to go on and hopefully it will spark some lively debate. But if you have any questions - just ask.

For information, I bought my current decktop about 5 years ago - it is still running Windows XP!! :D

Edited by malcolmlusby, 29 September 2010 - 01:24 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.falcon-nw.../desktops/talon

http://www.microsoft...tops.aspx?cat=1

?

Edited by SpywareDr, 29 September 2010 - 04:10 AM.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
that's very helpful! Thank you. I should also have poitned out, I think, that I am in the United Kingdom. Not sure if that will affect people's advice.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. :D