Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java, issues installing/uninstalling

• Please log in to reply

hay.java

hay.java

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Firstly, I've looked at other posts and i see that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is recommended. Is this the correct site?
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
I'm not sure which one i should be clicking on.
(i dont think my system specs are appearing at the side so ill just put it here too;
AMD Athlon™ 64X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00GHz
2.00GB
32-bit Operating System)

I had a trojan recently and i was told it might have got in due to my java being outdated. So i tried to uninstall all old versions using JavaRa and install the latest one - version 6 update 21 - from the java site.
When JavaRa finishes, the log mentions it's found and removed a large list of things. Just for good measure, I ran it again and it produced I THINK the same list. Should that really happen if it said its removed everything the first time around?

I've gone into the (C:) drive and looked for any java/sun files manually, i stuck them in the recycling bin and emptied it.

When I try to install the latest Java, it says,

"This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"

I click yes and it just brings up the same prompt, it keeps looping. I click no, the prompt disappears and im left javaless.

I tried to uninstall java via control panel, the only Java i see listed is called "Java™ 6 Update 21". I figured i would just remove it and try to reinstall it again. But it wont remove itself, there will be a quick prompt that says its in the process of removing, once that disappears it just remains in the list.

I've tried combinations of rebooting, firefox, IE and primarily chrome.

When I boot up the pc, as it goes ontop desktop, a prompt titled "Launch4j" comes up, I cant recall what the message said. I'll reboot and add it in a moment.
EDIT:The Launch4j thing says;
"The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Environment installation or the runtime is corrupted.
The system cannot find the path specified."

I've been considering doing steps 1 to 6 shown here,
http://www.java.com/...y_addremove.xml
When I look into the registry keys, i came across 2 folders which mention java and java autoupdater.
Some advice would be appreciated, are there alternate methods or should i go ahead and delete them? If someone can tell me which version of the windows installer cleanup utility thing i should download, id like to try that first.

Additionally, I have used ATF and cCleaner.

Edited by hay.java, 30 September 2010 - 04:53 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I had a trojan recently and i was told it might have got in due to my java being outdated. So i tried to uninstall all old versions using JavaRa and install the latest one - version 6 update 21 - from the java site.
When JavaRa finishes, the log mentions it's found and removed a large list of things. Just for good measure, I ran it again and it produced I THINK the same list. Should that really happen if it said its removed everything the first time around?

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

hay.java

hay.java

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, my main issue was the java but i think i should have given some more background info.
My pc was losing space, 5GB then 3GB, and a little less each time but losing nonetheless.

I had already went through most the steps in;
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Up to and including the malwarebytes scan.
I also ran the ESET online scan which found 6 trojans and removed them.

Since then, i havent seen any unusual loss in space (although i would like to go to Step 4:GMER rootkit detection just to be certain).

I'm running the Malwarebytes quickscan again and will post the log after its finished.

EDIT: Malwarebytes quickscan log;

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4717

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943

30/09/2010 14:15:42
mbam-log-2010-09-30 (14-15-42).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 135120
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by hay.java, 30 September 2010 - 07:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry the log needs to be included in a new topic in the malware dorum as we don't use nor assist with malware issues in any forum but the Malware forum. I understand you feel like you have gotten rid of the infection but there could be some hidden issues that need to be addressed. If you can't run any of the programs in the self help area then post the logs you do have and let the malware people know you can't run the Gmer when you make your initial topic.