Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Irql not less or equal on install of XP

• Please log in to reply

PoppaSteve

PoppaSteve

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently built a new machine based on the MSI 785G-E53 motherboard. It is populated with an AMD X6 1055T with stock air cooling, 2 gigs of Memory Master DDR3 memory (on 1 stick), an MSI Radeon 5750 graphics card, WD 1T SATA drive and a Thermaltake 460w PSU.

It was working fine at first, a couple of BSODs, but nothing unusual for a new build. I thought the stock AMD fan was a little noisy and was going to replace it. So I disassembled the machine in order to install a new fan. Turned out I didn't and reassembled the machine. Worked fine again for a short time, and then just quit. Suddenly XP wouldn't start, either normally or in safe mode.

So I tried reinstalling XP. It gets to a point where it restarts, and then while installing devices, it goes BSOD on me, with the above message. I have disabled the internal LAN and audio, removed the graphics card, moved the memory to other slots, all with no improvement.

I read in another place that it could be the CPU overheating, but I have checked it in BIOS after installation fails and it reads about 123F. That doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

Usually I have a fairly good grasp of what is going on with my machines, but this baffles me. Memory? Motherboard or a component on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PoppaSteve

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I might be wrong but I would look at your PSU as the maybe problem, 460watt seems enough but it could be non sufficient for your power consumption demand.

PoppaSteve

PoppaSteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That may well be it. But would it fail at the same place in the installation process every time? I don't know.

Of course, "I don't know" is why I'm here in the first place!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking about getting a 700w PSU anyway.

PoppaSteve

PoppaSteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
For what it is worth, this problem is resolved. It appears to have been a BIOS issue with XP. I created a slipstream install disk with Service Pack 3, and the installation went fine,

I used a freeware program called nlite to make the slipstream.

Hope this helps someone else.