Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading XP to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

jonti007

jonti007

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried to upgrade xp to windows 7, but I get a message telling me I cant do this.
Anyone any ideas how to do it

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before doing a drastic upgrade like this Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You can use upgrade media to upgrade from XP to 7, but you must perform a Custom installation of Windows 7, which does NOT keep any of your files, programs, or settings.

Microsoft.com > Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
http://windows.micro...xp-to-windows-7

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah, going from XP to 7 requires a full install so even though you can use the upgrade media to do it, you can't just upgrade like when going from vista to 7.

with a drastic change like going from XP to 7 it's a better idea to do a full removal and install anyway

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have tried to upgrade xp to windows 7, but I get a message telling me I cant do this.
Anyone any ideas how to do it

You don't.
No upgrade route from XP to 7. Clean installation only.

In theory you could upgrade XP to Vista, then upgrade Vista to 7 but that's twice the effort, four times the time and twice the cost, and simply adds more to go wrong somewhere along the line.