Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Connections

• Please log in to reply

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
All of the parts are on the way here (should be here Tuesday) for my new build. I was reading over the manual that I downloaded from ASUS website for my new motherboard, and noticed that the CPU fan connection on the MOBO is a 4-pin. The CPU cooler I'm getting (Thermaltake Spin-Q VT) has a 3-pin connection. While it looks like it should hook up without any problems, I'm curious as to the difference between the 4-pin & 3-pin fan connection. Is the fourth pin to control the speed of the fan? Is it for a heat sensor? Just curious as to what I might miss out on, and if there may be any problems associated.

ASUS Sabertooth x58 MOBO
i7-950
Crucial 6GB (3x2) 1600 DDR3
EVGA GTS 450 GPU
XFX 650 XXX power supply
Thermaltake Spin-Q VT CPU Cooler
Logitech Wave wireless keyboard and mouse
Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Samsung EcoGreen 1.5TB
Lite-On Blu-Ray drive
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Apevia X-Alien case (existing case)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll be fine. The 4th pin is usually for dynamic fan control, however many Asus boards use their own technology that can throttle the fan speed regardless of how pins it's connected to.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sweet, gracias!