Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo, CPU, or GPU problem?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are there any error messages reported in the System Event logs? A lot of times the event logs can shed light on where a problem originates.

Advertisements

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im not sure I have never used that before. I will check it out. Thanks! :D

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
This is the one that shut itself down after the glitch/distortion or w/e you would call it happened. From the event log.

+ System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-10-09T23:50:29.535612300Z

EventRecordID 10999

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer BatCave

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 209
BugcheckParameter1 0xfffffa90039eb4c0
BugcheckParameter2 0x2
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff88004d0f8de
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Test the RAM?

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic
http://www.memtest86.com/

Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

@SpywareDr I am almost positive it isn't the RAM, unless my luck is extremely horrible lol.

Have you followed this advice yet?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...that tells us that Windows didn't complete it's shutdown routine. Not much to go on there.

Please do run the memory diagnostics. I prefer the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool run from the disk. You can run an extended test with this tool. If memory serves, you toggle the extended test by pressing the "T" key. It will tell you the key press at the top of the diagnostics screen. Note that the extended test will take a good long time to complete. Run the regular test first, at least four complete passes. If you encounter any errors, run the test on the RAM modules one at a time until you find which module is faulty.

Let's also see if we can get a blue screen error out of this machine. Click the Start orb, right click on Computer, and choose Properties. In the Properties window, click on the Advanced System Settings link in the left pane. In the Advanced System Properties window, in the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button. In the Settings window, clear the checkbox next to "Automatically Restart"...apply the change.

Did you install the Sound Blaster software for HD Audio using the disk provided with your motherboard? I've seen those drivers be pretty glitchy under Windows 7.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
@Phillpower2, this problem has happened with 2 different brands of memory. Like I said I would be extremely unlucky if it was the RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The Ram may be ok but the MB slots may not be.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yea I was thinking this as well, I am going to test the RAM and see what this does. I do not have a extra blank CD atm, is there anyway I can use my flash drive? I thought I remember hearing of people doing this.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click the Start orb and type memory in the search field. At the top of the results you should see the Windows Memory Diagnostic...click on that, then click on "Restart and check for problems". This will run the diagnostics on boot. Not quite as good a check as you get with the disk, but it may show if there is a problem in that area.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have already ran that before a few days ago. Nothing came up, or at least I do not think, I never used that before either.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Never had cause to use it so I can`t help you with it but here is what you are after;
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso It did say the usb option was the least favoured way.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Wannabe1 since I already used Windows diagnostics, I am going to run Memtest. I have already been through 1 pass and so far so good. If there is no errors after 5 passes, I will redo Windows diag, and the extended test you suggested. Unless you feel that this test will be sufficient, please advise.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Wannabe1 since I already used Windows diagnostics, I am going to run Memtest. I have already been through 1 pass and so far so good. If there is no errors after 5 passes, I will redo Windows diag, and the extended test you suggested. Unless you feel that this test will be sufficient, please advise.

Just in case you havn`t come across this guide http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/
Did you manage to use your flash drive?

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
@Phillpower2, yup doing this now I am on pass 2 with 0 errors and its still on 100% of pass 2. I would assume this is the last test of pass 2. So pass 3 should be comming soon.

dalligood7

dalligood7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Just in case you havn`t come across this guide http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/
Did you manage to use your flash drive?

The first 2 symptoms on this sound like problems I am having. The funny thing is, that these happen randomly and under all different circumstances. I play WoW and its ok, sometimes it happens when I play WoW sometimes it just happens when I am on the net. Like the other day it happened while I was checking my e-mail, and last night it crashed while I had WoW, Vent,, and You Tube open. They had been opened for a long time though, it did not happen right away.

Edited by dalligood7, 10 October 2010 - 02:28 PM.