Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD

• Please log in to reply

lewisstevens1

lewisstevens1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hdd
Hi im having a bit of problem when i turn my computer on...

the computer has a HDD with an OS installed

If i try turn it on with my EXTERNAL HDD which has no
OS installed aswell as my normal hdd,
this is the error i get:

Verifying DMI Pool Data...

if i remove the external HDD i get:

Boot from CD/DVD: Disk Boot Failure, Insert
System disk and press enter.

with that theres no disk in the tray and the boot order
is to boot my internal HDD first, then my external hdd then my disk...

can someone help plz

spec:
3GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GPU
500Gb SATA HDD
400GB External HDD
1000W Galaxy PSU

notes: Last thing i remember doing is using an xbox controller
on the computer.
software i downloaded:
driver: http://www.microsoft...category=gaming
software: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to go into the bios (typically by pressing f2 or del during boot) and look for the boot order settings. make sure your internal drive is first, and either disable USB boot or make sure the USB boot is the last on the list

lewisstevens1

lewisstevens1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
tried hasn't made any difference

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just so i can be sure we're on the same page...

if you don't plug in the external drive, you can boot the computer normally without issue. however if you try to boot with the external drive plugged in then it won't boot at all.

go into the BIOS while the external drive is plugged in and make sure that it's not in the boot options

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The way I understood your first post is that with your USB HD plugged in you get an error and if you unplug the USB HD then you still cannot start windows because it asks you for a bootable CD/DVD.

It seems your pc is not detecting your internal HD which as your OS on it

In your BIOS is your internal HD detected at all

Usually when it jumps over an HD to another boot choice it's because your HD is not detected, if it was detected but non bootable or corrupted it would give you an error like when its trying to boot from your USB HD

If your Boot order is your Internal HD first and it is not recognized then it jumps right away to your CD/DVD-rom and asks your for a disk boot and fails since none are in your CD/DVD.

If you have your USB HD plugged in and you try to boot then it does not detect an internal HD it will go to your CD/DVD to boot and if no disk boot inserted will go to the next boot choice (USB) and thats when you get your error message.

I would check at your internal HD to verify that it is properly detected by your BIOS first
then try (if you can) to press F12 or any other F (depends of brand) for the Manual Boot Choice Menu at post and choose your internal HD if it is listed.

If not detected, I would check your cable and power connections first, or change your Sata cable if you can and look to see if its detected.

lewisstevens1

lewisstevens1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Lol thanks guys, well just before you posted that i decided to use the HDD in my other computer to see if its a hardware failure on one of the components it loaded fine nd i had all the HDD's which was in there before linked as a child.

When i loaded up and checked in my computer only one HDD showed up, the one without the OS. which in turn im guessing that the HDD with the OS was faulty.

I re-installed windows onto the other HDD and tried running it and its working fine now.

Thankyou guys for your help.

ps. Alzeimer you were right lol.