Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Docking station

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Okay so I got a new Asus G73 and like most everyone else I'm not crazy about the mouse pad buttons, the manuals are utterly useless and I don't care for the dual partition. Other than that I absolutely love it. The display is gorgeous and huge for a laptop. But I have a 22" monitor sitting on my desk collecting dust so I want to put the G73 through a docking station when I have it at home where it would be primarily for gaming (It absolutely blows away my three year old Dell XPS-710). So does anyone have any recommendations for a docking station for an Asus G73? I don't mind plugging and unplugging cables every time I move the thing. I carry it back and forth to work every day. I would just like to be able to use my big monitor and external keyboard and mouse when gaming at home.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You don't really need a docking station. Plug your monitor into either the VGA or HDMI port on the right, a keyboard and mouse into any of the USB ports, and you should be good to go. (You'll need to toggle the external monitor On by pressing [fn]+[F8] of course).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I don't mind plugging and unplugging cables every time I move the thing.

Yeah, if you don't mind plugging and unplugging cables, then I agree with SpywareDr, why bother with a docking station? That's just something else that can go wrong, it takes up desk space, it cost money, it doesn't help with cooling, and it does nothing for performance.

Note a real docking station is something you slide your notebook into that automatically makes all the necessary connections for monitor, keyboard, mouse, and network (as a minimum). Since there is no industry standard for notebooks that says where ports will be located on a notebook case, the docking station for any given notebook would have to be specifically designed for that notebook. Proprietary (non-standardized) accessories typically must come from the original maker, in this case, ASUS, and being proprietary, are typically not cheap.

Since plugging and unplugging is not a problem, I would stick to doing just that. Just ensure you maintain a disciplined approach while doing this, taking care and paying close attention each and every time so that you don't bend a pin, short pins, or forget to power down (notebook and monitor) first.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

You don't really need a docking station. Plug your monitor into either the VGA or HDMI port on the right, a keyboard and mouse into any of the USB ports, and you should be good to go. (You'll need to toggle the external monitor On by pressing [fn]+[F8] of course).

Okay now that you said that I just realized that it was pretty obvious and should have known that myself. I guess that's what happens when you reach the big 5-0. Well, many thanks for telling me what I should have already figured out myself.