Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Send HDD ( Data Only ) Safely to US ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have been living in another country & now moving back to USA.

I have 500 GB of data on a Hard disk.

I am going to carry one copy of that HD with me in carry on luggage in my flight.

But I would also like to send another copy of the same HD to USA either by post or thru a courier as a back up just in case something happens to the HD I am carrying with me.

How safe the second HD would be if I protected it with an OS password ? If someone gets hold of it, can they open that HD ? If yes, how do I send it by Post so that the data will be protected ?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are special packages for shipping hard drives that you can get, but i don't know that it's worth the expense. best bet is to get an antistatic bag (i'm sure you can buy them online, or if you've recently bought any hardware and you've got an old one lying around) and put the drive in it, then get a box that's bigger than the hard drive and fill it with some kind of stable packing material (not peanuts or any other loose packaging) like closed cell foam or something like that. something that's soft but won't shift around during shipping. if you've got a packaging store near you, they may already have a solution for shipping electronic components.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Air bubble wrap and a static bag is the best way. That is how NewEgg and Tigerdirect ships. You can probably pickup anti static bags from any computer shop in your area. They most likely throw them out when putting in hd's in a customer's system.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

there are special packages for shipping hard drives that you can get, but i don't know that it's worth the expense. best bet is to get an antistatic bag (i'm sure you can buy them online, or if you've recently bought any hardware and you've got an old one lying around) and put the drive in it, then get a box that's bigger than the hard drive and fill it with some kind of stable packing material (not peanuts or any other loose packaging) like closed cell foam or something like that. something that's soft but won't shift around during shipping. if you've got a packaging store near you, they may already have a solution for shipping electronic components.

Air bubble wrap and a static bag is the best way. That is how NewEgg and Tigerdirect ships. You can probably pickup anti static bags from any computer shop in your area. They most likely throw them out when putting in hd's in a customer's system.

I think I didn't phrase the question correctly.

I was asking about the security of the data from a theft point of view. If the HD is lost or stolen, how secure the data would be if it was protected only by an OS password.

I have the packaging material & that is not a problem.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe yeah, that wasn't clear. not sure if it was your fault though.

what OS is on the HD now?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://en.wikipedia....rive_Encryption