Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Not Booting Up

• Please log in to reply

VortexR18

VortexR18

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hey guys, I have a copy of Windows 7 and im trying to install it on a computer with a fresh 1.5tb hard drive. I put the disc in the drive making sure the BIOS will load that up first. I restart the computer and wait for it to load Windows 7, but all i get is a beep and it turns to this black screen with a blinking text cursor.

I tried the disc on another computer that already has Windows installed and it booted up the Windows 7 disc just fine on start up.

Question is why won't the Windows 7 disc boot up on my computer? Can it not handle Windows 7? Is it a hardware problem?

I can't get into the specs of the computer because I only have a fresh new hard drive and nothing else. Is all hope lost? Can my computer not have Windows 7 (32-bit)?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that when i tried using a Windows XP CD on boot, it recognized it, but not this Windows 7 disc.

Edited by VortexR18, 05 October 2010 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Windows 7 system requirements
http://windows.micro...em-requirements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi VortexR18
What version of W7 are you attempting to install on the HDD, is it a full legitimate copy that has never been used on another machine or an upgrade disk.
If you know how to get into the BIOS can you check that the new HDD is detected and that it is set as the second boot device after the CD/DVD drive, save and exit.

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If you can, boot into XP, and run the install from there =D. It's possible, just maybe some people don't know.

CountryWizard

CountryWizard

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sounds like you are trying to install a win 7 dvd on a cd drive... Win XP came out on a cd whereas Win 7 came out on a dvd.. Try using an external dvd burner to install...

Hope this was helpful...