Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something corrupts my windows 7 but what?

• Please log in to reply

Dawkin

Dawkin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!
I built a new rig about a month ago with the following parts :

XFX Radeon 5850
AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition
2x2 G.Skills 12800 clock 9-9-9-24
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
Coolermaster GX 750W
Antec 900 mid Tower
OS Windows 7 64 bits

For over a month now I've had this problem where my system gets corrupted after the computer has been shutdown for a couple hours.

Everytime I reset the bios, reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7, and if i never shutdown the computer ( rebooting and stand by mode dont corrupt anything )the computer runs perfectly.

I had it on for 3 days in a row playing games, or just idling and everything was fine.
Prime95 ran stable for 10 hours, memtest86 5 hours.

Important side note i did try to OC my cpu from 3.4 to 3.7 ghz ,which was stable , and also tried to get my ram to run at 1600mhz like its advertised insted of the 1333mhz default from the mobo (then the clock went haywire to 11-11-11-29 and wasnt stable so went back to stock)

Also im running 3 single hard drive setup, 1 western digital 250gb, one 320gb and another 750gb. I tried installing the os on the 250gb and then on the 320gb to test if it was the hard drives, It seemed fine on the 320gb for about a week (would shutdown and power on without being corrupted) but it just went chaos on me this morning after i got back home from work...

So here i am now, no clue what to do to fix my problem anymore !
Hopefully running into someone who had this problem before or has a clue cause i don't!

Thanks alot in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Hi Dawkin :D

For over a month now I've had this problem where my system gets corrupted after the computer has been shutdown for a couple hours.

What do you mean by corrupted?

Everytime I reset the bios, reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7, and if i never shutdown the computer ( rebooting and stand by mode dont corrupt anything )the computer runs perfectly.

How are you resetting the BIOS and are you saving the settings before exiting (normally by pressing F10).
Other possibilities may be a faulty or dead CR2032 MB battery or if the settings have never saved after shutting down the MB jumper cap being on the wrong pins.

Dawkin

Dawkin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Phill!

By corrupted i mean windows doing bunch of errors in every programs.

When i boot and windows gives me errors with catalyst, Netframe 4.0, Msn... basicly every program that loads on start up. Then I try to run a game on the steam platform but it gives me errors, files missing.

Validating the game over again to try and fix the missing files would somehow grind the game file, (little exemple : Crysis game file before validation = 6.8 gb, after validation 4.2 gb) and then i would have to download half the game over again.
Prime95 which would run perfectly on the fresh install but on the corrupted windows 7 would give me a BSOD within seconds.

After that the only solution to get another working system i have is to format the harddrive and do anothoer clean install, i tried backups with xpress recovery and also repairing with the windows cd but those are still corrupted once completed. Most of the time i wouldnt even be able to do a repair from the windows cd since i would get error messages while doing so.

Also if i dont reset my bios before doing a clean install I would get errors during the installation process.

Thanks for your reply! I really need help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
This may be one a Tech has to help you with to try and resolve, as it could be software related and so above my present knowledge and experience.
With you saying the system once running stabily was ok until shutting it down, I was thinking that it was a BIOS issue, you havn`t said how you are resetting the BIOS!
Have you tried restoring the factory default settings as described at the top of page 32 of the MB user manual instead of pressing the reset button http://download.giga..._ud5_v2.1_e.pdf
If you havn`t give it a try, once done don`t forget to reset the time and date on boot up and then save and exit.

Dawkin

Dawkin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hmmm i reset the BIOS by either taking the battery out for a minute or two and pushing the bios reset button on the mobo.
Oh i remember i flashed the bios before, maybe something went wrong with that, i'll flash it again just to make sure.
Thanks again for the support! hehe