Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Mid-High Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply

Jogga X

Jogga X

• Pip
  • 3 posts
At the moment, this is what I've got:

Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550W
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 XMP 2x2GB
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 32MB 500GB

I still need a CPU, preferably a decent AMD, and a decent Motherboard that will work with/has slots for all of the above. So the way I see it so far, the motherboard has to have at least:

• 2x PCI Express x16 slots (I'll probably want to add an extra graphics card later, want room for expansions)
  • ATX Form (Obviously)
  • 4x DDR3 Slots (Again, for expansion purposes)
  • Preferably high-speed SATA connections
  • Whichever socket the final chosen CPU uses (Quite possibly will end up being an AM3)

What should I keep in mind in terms of the power supply, should I consider something with more output?

And if anyone has suggestions for a sweet, not-too-pricey tower that will fit these components, please let me know :D

EDIT: Ok, here's the final list so far...

Is the power supply going to be adequate for what's there? I'm not quite sure how to evaluate power supplies, and I'm not sure if I'll need extra cooling or not.

Anyone have ANY comments on this rig? Even saying [bleep] it's nice would be helpful, I want feedback as this is my first attempt

Edited by Jogga X, 08 October 2010 - 01:49 AM.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi Jogga X,
Welcome to the site.

I'm pretty sure for the cost of a 500Gb Hard drive, you can get one much larger, and faster, for little more.
For the CPU and Motherboard:
http://pricespy.co.n...ct.php?p=605993
http://pricespy.co.n...ct.php?p=585554

These would come in under NZ$1250 without the case. When you look at cases, check to see if there is already a Power Supply inside, if so, remember that they are quite often generic.

DACJR

DACJR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
To select a PSU for your system check the wattage on your video cards. Video cards draw from the 12v rail so pay particular attention to that. You also want to choose a PSU that is slightly more than what you anticipate you'll need. If you're going to go with crossfire or SLI don't forget to add that extra video card in there. You can also use a wattage calculator to figure up the exact wattage. I'm not sure if the calculator will add in the extra wattage for you. PSU that run at less than peak performance last longer, plus they lose some of their capacity over time.

Tigerdirect has some nice cases for less than $50. Was cheaper than newegg.com if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps.

Jogga X

Jogga X

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help guys,

Here's the updated rig: http://pricespy.co.n...o=lista&m=22893

I'm now trying to keep the price closer to $1000.

What do you think?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Are you aware that the card you selected has only 1 PCI slot. If you later want to add 2 expansion cards, IE, sound, wireless, you would be up the proverbial.

Jogga X

Jogga X

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm aware of that, but I never use wireless in gaming, and I have powerful enough USB splitters. The only possible use I'd have for a PCI slot would be a single sound card.

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Honestly, I think just about everything in the way of expansion cards is available (or will be soon) in PCIE, so I wouldn't sweat it