Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X-Fi Extreme Music drivers

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have heard of PAX drivers available for X-Fi series of soundcards (mine is a PCI X-Fi Extreme Music hooked up to the Z5500's) (PAX being a custom set of drivers). Question is are these drivers going to make it sound better? I certainly dont think the current official set of drivers that I downloaded for my version of Windows 7 32bit sound as good as when I had it on XP 32bit. Also there seems to be some issues with the creative console. I hear this package is the coorect one can someone confirm please? : http://www.technewsh...read.php?t=4864

I dont want to go through the hassle of uninstalling the old drivers and putting these on only to find I hit problems or it doesnt sound any better then uninstalling and re-installing official drivers. Has anyone here used these drivers?

Many Thanks in advance :D

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Anyone please?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see you had one other topic that you became unforgiving in because someone didn't reply to you. Etiquette when asking for free help and knowing all of us are volunteers will help you in the future. Not everyone has experience with every issue that shows up in these forums. As part of the staff here at GTG I can assure you we do our best but with 100's of posts a day sometimes topics slip through.
I'll try to answer your question as best as I can.
In my experience installing anything other then Manufacturer authorized drivers usually ends up causing issues with the device. It normally will not make anything better at all since in the end they still are using the manufacturer source code for the driver. It may add some functionality that is not available with the manufacturer's driver but other then that making the sound better I doubt it very much.
My suggestion has always been with the manufacturer driver as long as it's not a BETA driver is always your best bet for compatibility and assurance it will work. :D ;)