Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem, we are on opposite times so I'll wait for your results and post the next steps then. :D

Advertisements

Albert Chan

Albert Chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi rshaffer, sorry I was not able to work on your instructions early this week because my internet connection bogged down.

I tried downloading the everest log but could not install it because several of the files were damaged or corrupted says the system.

What do I do now?

Thanks...

Albert Chan

Albert Chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi rshaffer, sorry I was not able to work on your instructions early this week because my internet connection bogged down.

I tried downloading the everest log but could not install it because several of the files were damaged or corrupted says the system.

What do I do now?

Thanks...

Albert Chan

Albert Chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

What do I do now?

Thanks...

Albert Chan

Albert Chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
sorry for the multiple similar replies but my pc security caused it...didn't know that my 1st two replies were aleady sent...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try redownloading Everest.
I would also like to have you run the next instructions.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Albert Chan

Albert Chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi rshaffer,

Thanks to your reply again. I did try to download the everest again but when I tried to install it the system says it has a corrupt file.Attached is error msg that I got.

Anyway, I will run chkdsk now and get back to you after it.

By the way, I did one thing this morning: I went to the advance setup menu (f8) and clicked on the item - do not restart when system fails, and I did not have restart the whole day until this writing when suddenly the screen froze and a blue screen appeared. It was saying the windows detected and error and closed the window to protect damage to the computer. I can not copy the screen and failed to get the detail. I shutdown the PC and rebooted again.

I did the chkdsk /f and the apps ran smoothly and rebooted the pc normally. The apps ran fasat that I didn't see the final result that it restarted immediately.

Thanks
Albert

Attached Thumbnails

• Corrupt File.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem we can get the information another way.
Please download Winaudit. Once downloaded then follow these steps to generate a HTML report and attach it to your next reply.
The report will most likely be to big to attach so I will include instructions on how to compress the file by zipping it.

• Double click on the Winaudit.exe file
• Next you will see a window like the one in below that says, To Audit Your Computer Click Here. Click Here
• When the program is done auditing your computer you will get a new screen like the one in Figure 2 below.
• Click on the Blue Save button and make sure it is saved as HTML and save to your Desktop for easy reference in the next steps.
• Now you will need to compress the file using the windows built in zip program.
• Right click on the saved file on your desktop and then scroll down to Send To
• Click on Compressed(zipped) Folder and use the Default settings
• Save the file to the Desktop
In your next reply please attach the new Zip Folder with the HTML file you just made.