Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loose wire on my motherboard. Please help.

• Please log in to reply

TehEternal0ne

TehEternal0ne

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tried to start my desktop and got a message saying something wasn't connected. When I opened up the computer I found a loose wire and i have no idea where it goes. I attached a picture of the wire and if anyone can help I'd be very thankful. IMG_20101009_172029.jpg

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It looks like your ATX 12V power, depending on your motherboard the connector is usually near the Processor either a 4 pins or 6 pin connector. This connector is for your processor.

Edited by Alzeimer, 11 October 2010 - 07:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry Alzeimer, slight difference of opinion here (hope you don`t mind)
4 pin 12v ATX MB connectors in the UK have yellow and black wires, Canada and the US may not have but the system will not attempt to boot or provide a display to the screen if it is not attached, so you would not see the error message you have received.
The wire must be connected at one end at least is it the psu, if not can you trace it back to where it does connect, I notice it has a sticker with SYS on it! Is it possibly the system fan or speaker connector, the amount of pins the end connector has may also give us a clue.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Sorry Alzeimer, slight difference of opinion here (hope you don`t mind)
4 pin 12v ATX MB connectors in the UK have yellow and black wires, Canada and the US may not have but the system will not attempt to boot or provide a display to the screen if it is not attached, so you would not see the error message you have received.
The wire must be connected at one end at least is it the psu, if not can you trace it back to where it does connect, I notice it has a sticker with SYS on it! Is it possibly the system fan or speaker connector, the amount of pins the end connector has may also give us a clue.

No worry

TehEternal0ne

TehEternal0ne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tired to restart my computer this morning and it actually wont come on now so I don't think this wire was my main problem. The sys wire in the picture in my first post is connected to 3 other wires: One is labeled CPU and connects to my processor, the sys was laying by my heat sink and the third follows the main wire back in to the case where I can't see. When I try to start my computer on the mother board it reads C1. I using a SLI 780i motherboard.

Edited by TehEternal0ne, 11 October 2010 - 11:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi again, just in case you havn`t got one here is a link to your MB http://www.evga.com/...132-CK-NF78.pdf
If this is the correct one it looks like your fans are disconnected from the headers on the MB meaning your computer may be shutting down to protect the CPU from frying, see page 34 and 35 of the manual for where the fans plug in.

TehEternal0ne

TehEternal0ne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The manual talks about 3 and 4 pin connectors but my loose wire has no pins. It's just a flat wire that kinda looks like it has a circuit grid on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is there any way you can get a better picture of the wire I cannot see anything on the MB that fits the description.
The MB error code C1 means Memory Presence Base memory detect, see page 111 of the manual, I dont know what it means but I came across this post while trying to find out, they had the same error code as yourself

Ok, it's up and running. My CMOS is a pain to clear. I have to leave the battery out for about 30 minutes. I even switch the jumpers, but it wouldn't clear it. Strange thing is when it booted, my BIOS showed my FSB at 288 and my volts at stock. Thanks for all the help last night. I'm glad I got it going again.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I just saw this post from someone who had the same issue error code C1 as you and that was his solution, may not mean it is your but worth looking into.

----------------------------------------------------

i recently just upgraded to a 780i mobo. i used to have the 680i. one thing i can say from upgrading from one to the other is that the 780i mobo does give out some codes that arent helpful or send you down the wrong troubleshooting path. my buddies 780i board gave the same issue, after fickling around with the memory and having it shutdown multiple times on me in bios, i decided to look at the cpu temps through system monitoring. the hsf wasnt on there correctly causing the e8400 cpu to overheat at 110c. after we properly put on the hsf, no more problems. but it still gave me the same "C1" trouble code that you are talking about when the hsf was not on correctly. now this experience may be only unique to me, but it might be worth a shot to look over everything on the board. good luck! ^_^

----------------------------------------------------

TehEternal0ne

TehEternal0ne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry for the late response. I gave up on trying to fix it my self a took it to a computer repair place where I live. Apparently the wire went to the temperature gauges on my CPU (which still do not work) and I was getting the errors because of a root-kit. But thanks for all the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting us know the solution :D