Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing .NET Framework 1.1

• Please log in to reply

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi, I have just come over from the Virus and Malware Removal section so I know that this is not a malware problem.

With the help of my previous helper, I followed the process here and installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (which installs 3.0 and 2.0) and 1.0. However when I get to the very bottom, the last installation, the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 does not install correctly. It brings the error message:

"Fatal execution engine error (0x7925e0c4)"

and when clicking OK

Top bar reads: "SL148.tmp - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services"
Message reads: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id=0xbf4 (3060), Thread id=0x960 (2400).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Currently 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 is installed, but I uninstalled 1.0. I am thinking of following the instructions here to manually remove the .NET Framework SP1. What do you guys think? Thanks for your tech opinions!

Edit: I think this might be a better article to use, but it does not let me uninstall 2.0 because it says programs are running which need it. I just need a tech expert to walk me through it I guess.

Edited by Danc20, 11 October 2010 - 11:43 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
According to Microsoft the .NET Framework 3.5 service pack 1 (SP1) 'contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.' In other words, this download will update any previous release....
try going here and download .NET Framework Redistributable 1.0...its a exe file so just click on it to install it...then go to windows update and check for updates

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
When I try that I get "Setup cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705 because it is already installed." I noticed after uninstalling 1.1 (with the removal tool because the normal way would not work) it left behind the folder v1.0.3705 and it is quite full (56.3 MB). I am thinking I should use the cleanup tool to do 1.0 and see what happens then? But I am not sure that would correct the problem.

Edited by Danc20, 12 October 2010 - 07:24 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am thinking I should use the cleanup tool to do 1.0 and see what happens then

try it

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well I did successfully remove 1.1 with the tool. I'm not even so sure now whether 1.1 has ever shown up on the cleanup tool, but today it did so that is a success. I still, however, get the error message when doing the redistributable: "Setup cannot install Microsoft .NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705 because it is already installed." I am thinking I should reinstall 1.0 now and then uninstall it with the cleanup tool because the v1.0.3705 folder is pretty hefty (56.2 MB). The next step would be the redistributable I think. Do you think this sounds like a good idea? If your thinking of something else I'll happily go with that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are any of your programs not functioning correctly...if not, don't worry about it

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Gimp and Paint.net do not work for sure. Also when two users are logged on at once when I, on one account scan with Avira, the other account decides to do the scan. Maybe a reinstall is necessary, I don't know. I managed to get 1.1 installed, but 1.0 doesn't even show in the programs list :D. I will manage to get it installed I guess though, possibly try a chkdisk. Thanks for all your help, I will most likely use that redistributable at some point ;).

Edit: Microsoft Silverlight is also not working correctly.

Edited by Danc20, 15 October 2010 - 07:10 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Why don't you restart from scratch, uninstall all the Net framework from latest one to oldest one making sure that everything is removed and then reinstall all of them in order they came out from version 1.0 then 1.1 and so on.

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
That is a good suggestion, and I would do it, but 1.0 doesn't seem to show on either the Add/Remove Program list or the .Net Cleanup tool now. And v1.0.3705 is a file left behind by the last uninstall from Add/remove. So as long as that folder is there all of .net is never fully uninstalled and I cannot install the 1.1 sp1 because of this. Maybe 1.0 never fully uninstalls from my type of computer? Thanks for your post Alzheimer!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Maybe you can try those steps from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320112

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry, I forgot to edit the post and say I did start to try that.

Before I attempted it I copied everything to my flash drive so I was able to restore it. It went good except the installer for 1.0 I had to delete since it would not "uninstall".

Upon trying to delete the v1.0.3705 folder (step 2h) I got an error message saying

Error deleting file or folder

Cannot delete netfxupdate:acess is denied.

Make sure the disk is not fully or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

and also

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now.

I replaced the files I deleted.

But you know...I didn't uninstall all the other .net frameworks before that...Maybe I should uninstall all .net's then try this again? What happens if the error message still comes up? Do you think I should continue? The error message sounds a little scary...so anyone who really knows their way around computers I would really appreciate any input.

Edited by Danc20, 15 October 2010 - 06:41 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Error deleting file or folder

Cannot delete netfxupdate:acess is denied.

Make sure the disk is not fully or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

The file is part of Windows net so it is in use as soon as you log in and all your services start so you can try to delete this file when you are in Safe mode (without networking) so the file will not be in use.

or

If still not able you can delete it using a program like TCEntreprise FileMaster this program will delete any file even files locked by the system (use with caution)
http://tcenterprise.co.cc/master.html

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now.

I replaced the files I deleted.

you can use the command line SFC /SCANNOW and scans files (it will scan and repair all protected system files) straight away with your XP cd in your CD/DVD-rom.

But you know...I didn't uninstall all the other .net frameworks before that...Maybe I should uninstall all .net's then try this again? What happens if the error message still comes up? Do you think I should continue? The error message sounds a little scary...so anyone who really knows their way around computers I would really appreciate any input.

You should uninstall newer NET Framework starting with the latest one and go down if you want to reinstall version 1.1

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Alzeimer,

I cannot do SFC /scannow because I don't have the disk, but perhaps it will still work out? It might just be the Mscoree.dll file I deleted and the error message was delayed, but according to the article the computer should be fine unless I am running a Windows Server 2003. Safe mode is an excellent suggestion and I will use it :D.

I have heard that I should uninstall 1.0 and up, at least with the .net cleanup tool on a few posts, so I'll follow that route.

Well I will decide on what to do. Most likely I'll probably uninstall all .nets, go into safemode and do manual removal of 1.0, and make sure to copy all files/items before I delete them!

Thanks for the tool and your suggestions, I am going to check out one more thing and then hopefully get to it. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.