Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Issues

• Please log in to reply

edub817

edub817

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi. I've been having a few issues with a PC that is partially rebuilt by me.

I had a Gateway 506GR that I kept the Motherboard, Hard Drive and CPU from and put into a new case. I added a new Power Supply (585W from 300W), new GPU (Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT), an Antec Veris Elite, New Heatsink and also a Memory Card reader for one of my 5.25 bays. I also had a Linksys LNE100TX Card in the system but it seemed that the card was causing my PC to randomly reboot. (I found out it was the card after going through the trial and error of testing other things out first. Once I got to the card and removed it, the reboots stopped.)

This brings me to another issue. After a few hours of use last night, the monitor went to no signal. I had to hard power down the system and when I turned it back on, I still wasn't getting anything on the screen. There was also no hard drive activity. This happened about three times. I tried to reseat the GPU as well as the RAM and this time I got three POST beeps but still no signal. I then turned the Power Supply off by the power button on the back of it, waited a minute or so, and turned the system back on. Now it turned on without any issues.

I'm wondering if this could be a heat issue? Speedfan reports the CPU to be running at about 44-45C temperatures and the GPU at about 49-52C temps. The case I have is an Antec Three Hundred so it has plenty of fans blowing. I'm not sure how to make this thing much cooler if it is heat that's causing an issue here.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and the Event Viewer isn't really listing anything that seems to be too out of the ordinary. The only things listed as Critical are the reports of the PC not cleanly shutting down.

I'm kind of at a loss here because I'm not sure what would cause an issue like that so I'm not sure where to start. The fact that I didn't seem to be getting any hard drive activity is what puzzles me.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Edited by edub817, 12 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

Advertisements

DACJR

DACJR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Is your PSU supplying enough power?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is your PSU supplying enough power?

Make and model of psu would be helpful! Are all connections in place securely?

edub817

edub817

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here's the Newegg product page of the PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817339001

I should note that I haven't experienced the issue since, but there must be a reason for this happening in the first place, because I figure if it happened once it can happen again.

I replaced the thermal paste on the CPU yesterday but I'm not seeing any difference in temperatures. I actually saw it spike to 61C last night under load while running an AV scan.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The fact the psu is not 80+ rated could have something to do with it, were you gaming or using any high usage 3D applications when your screen lost the signal, gfx are power hungry and the psu may not be able to cope with heavy loading over an extended period of time, also how much Ram do you have and what are the specs.

edub817

edub817

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Actually, my wife was uploading several photos to her facebook when it happened. As for my RAM, I've got 2GB (Two 512 and One 1GB sticks)DDR

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Don't mind me, posted in the wrong place...

Edited by mkau, 21 October 2010 - 03:48 PM.