Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Problem Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Running Windows Vista. Every time my wife reboots the machine after a normal/proper shutdown or a hard shutdown, Vista takes 3 or 4 attempts to reboot correctly. Anyone have any ideas why it doesn't just reboot correctly the first time every time? HELP PLEASE!

dog

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No computer information means we can only give general answers. Desktop? Laptop? model? we need more info. What it sounds like is windows has a incorrect, corrupt, or missing driver for your hardware so it looks thru the system trying to find one. when it does not find one it eventually boots to windows without using that hardware. Does everything work on the computer when it does finally boot ? it could also be that it has a bad sector on the hard drive where a driver was installed before the sector went bad. When windows sees a bad sector( unreadable) it marks the sector and ignores it after that. What does your event viewer show as problems in the computer( red or yellow flags)?

SRX660

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I am very sorry, I should have known better ...

Gateway DX441S (Desktop)

Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
Intel ® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHZ
3GB RAM
32-bit Operating System

What does your event viewer show as problems in the computer( red or yellow flags)? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

When the system does finally boot up, not everything works properly ... I am currently having problems with Incredimail not
running correctly, as well as AVG not updating as it should and sometimes the system just locks up.

Thanks for responding!

Edited by moondog830, 17 October 2010 - 02:44 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On a Vista computer, Click on Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance, then Administrative Tools, now double click on Event Viewer. You need to look in the application log in windows logs, and also in the applications and services log in hardware events. You can double click on each red or yellow flagged event to open a window that explains what the event was. A basic summary of the logs here would help us find where your problem may be at.

Here's a picture of what your looking at.
http://cybernetnews....eventviewer.jpg

http://www.mywindows...vent-viewer.jpg

We can look up the error to find out where the problem is.
I personally had many problems with AVG so i do not use that AV anymore. I have been using the FREE Avast for a few years with no problems, but some people say there are better AV's you can use. I also hate Norton's AV with a passion.

SRX660

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I'm sorry to have bothered you, but the PC keeps locking up when I try to run the Event Viewer. I think we're going to just try reinstalling Windows, but I have to ask a question ... would you recommend Vista (again) Xp or 7? I actually don't have a copy of Vista now ... the machine didn't come with a physical copy, but I have a version of 7 as well as XP.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would have suggested reinstalling with this answer you gave. I personally would go with a windows 7 install. I have tried Vista on 3 computers and all three have had problems. One vista computer completely locked up in a continuous reboot when i tried removing blackberry phone programs. XP is fading away and support ends soon so it will not have drivers for any new hardware.

It has taken a while to get used to windows 7 and i have had to rethink the way i do some things, but it seems very stable and only a few of my older programs do not work on it. With 7 you will need to buy some new software and i do like the better workings of the new software compared to the old software. It seems i use the right click button a lot more with 7.

SRX660