Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

set time on restart

• Please log in to reply

funiwant

funiwant

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
just wondering if there is any way to set how long the computer stays off on a restart. i am having problems with restarting my computer when asked to restart from updates and things, i think my external hard drive is not shutting down completely before restart and is causing my computer to hang at the "pentium" screen. then i have to push and hold the power button to shut off and wait a few seconds until the light goes out on my external hdd then it seams to restart fine. just wondering if making the computer stay off a little longer during a restart might help, or do i have another problem that might need to be addressed. thanks

Advertisements

Matriculated

Matriculated

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi funiwant,

just wondering if there is any way to set how long the computer stays off on a restart.

No, a restart is referred to as a "warm boot" as in the computer never fully turns off (though it may seem toPosted Image).

There are a few options here:

1. Have you tried doing a restart with the external hard drive disconnected before the restart? If so, what occurred?

2. You can always deny the restart popup option and just perform a regular full shutdown. Then turn your computer back on after the shutdown (i.e. a cold boot). This will work as well if not better then a Restart (warm boot) anyways.

3. With the information you provided, it's possible your BIOS (i.e. "causing my computer to hang at the "pentium" screen") is trying to boot from the external drive first instead of your main active hard drive. Even though this is unlikely, it's worth checking your BIOS to see if your external drive is listed first in the "bootable drives" section. The reason this is unlikely, is that your BIOS should see it as "non-bootable" drive and bypass it immediately and then boot from your "Active bootable drive". Still worth checking.

4. If this has only occurred when the external hard drive is hooked up (i.e. not before or just recently occurring), then it could be a conflict with your systems BIOS and the external hard drives firmware (rare but possible - age difference between BIOS and drive usually determine this).

Edited by Matriculated, 14 October 2010 - 10:16 PM.