Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking issue

• Please log in to reply

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I recently formatted my hard drive and messed some things up in the process. I have managed to get my system back to what seems nearly normal, except my router no longer works. The lights on the router light up and the ethernet light on my machine lights up, but my wireless machines no longer recieve a signal and my desktop will not recognize it. I tried installing it from the disk and i recieved an error saying "Unable to connect to router". any help is appreciated

Dave

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
need a lot more info....

router and nic models as a start.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 v. 4 wireless router. im am not familiar with my "nic model". what is/ how would i find that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your wireless card....NIC=network interface card....

sorry, that's the problem with computers, too many TLAs (three letter acronyms)....

(that's actually a killer joke for IT people :tazz: )

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Your NIC is internal to your computer. Its either on the motherboard or as a pci slot type nic. Look in your device manager under network adapters first and tell gerry what it says.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well i am not sure what kind of NIC i have, whatever came with the PC :tazz: . How would i go about finding this information?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well I seem to have posted too soon. After working to fix this for a day i found that the driver for my ethernet connection was deleted and all i had to do was go to my device manager and click update driver on my ethernet adapter. Im sorry if i cause any wasted time, and thank you for jumping on my issue immediately. Great service :tazz: