Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mp3 virus =[ need some advice

• Please log in to reply

WoWAddictsadface

WoWAddictsadface

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My name is karl, I was running low on hard drive memory one day all of a sudden, I have deleted alot of pictures and music files (all of my music files anyway), however 60 odd gig is used up, so i do cc cleaner etc and as much maintencance as i know, i'm not the most savvy person with a computer obviously as i am pleading here, but i feel i should have had alot more space than i did.
so i did a virus scan and kaspersky has found MP3 files i have never seen before and there are alot, they are all 39kb so you can picture how many there are to be using up say 10-15GB by my estimate, now kaspersky can disinfect/remove these etc w/e options are given, however when i check they files are still there, they are taking up alot of memory, and i cannot get rid of them.
the folder is called ! but one strange thing is when i right click on my hard drive and search for any of the music file names, there is apparntly no such thing, it cannot find them, even with display hidden folders chcked i cannot even find it manually, this leaves me to believe my kaspersky is.. broken? but this does not explain the missing memory space :<
any help on quick notice would be useful, as im just considering buying a new hard drive =/
thankyou.

-update- i can now confirm the mp3 discuised files as Trojan-Downloader.WMA getcodec.a

Edited by WoWAddictsadface, 14 October 2010 - 08:42 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Do as much of

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

as you can. If a step won't work, skip to the next one. Copy and paste your gmer, mbam, otl, & extras logs into a reply. Do not attach them.

Ron