Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update On Power UP

• Please log in to reply

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Windows 7 x64 HP Palvillon dv6 series

When I powered up this evening, immediately more than 17,000 updates installed before windows launched. Don't know if it was windows or HP, it went real fast and I was trying to read the screen but it was flashing real fast as the updates installed.

Searched Microsoft and HP sites but didn't see anything about a large push out.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The laptop when on in and worked okay...

Thanks...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is normal behaviour for Windows 7 where updates are applied on shutdown.
The exact number of "updates" on the Windows 7 screen varies depending on what's been downloaded, what needs installing and everything like that. It bears no relation whatsoever to what has been downloaded.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
To see which Windows updates are installed on your computer, click the Start button, in the search box type update, in the list of results, click Windows Update and then in the left pane, click View update history.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the replies, We have had the laptop for about 6 months now and that was the 1st time I've seen that. I must admit, it is my wife's laptop and she is the one usually powering it up and if anything is out of the norm she usually panics and asks me. She must not have seen it before. Glad I saw it first and thanks for helping me understand it is a 'normal' windows thing. A lot of 'normal' window things seem un-normal to me....
Thanks again

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Considering Windows 7 has only been out about a year, "17,000 updates" might be stretching it a bit. There may be 1,000: http://catalog.updat...Search.aspx?q=7