Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router issue

• Please log in to reply

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I recently formatted my hard drive and messed some things up in the process. I have managed to get my system back to what seems nearly normal, except my router no longer works. The lights on the router light up and the ethernet light on my machine lights up, but my wireless machines no longer recieve a signal and my desktop will not recognize it. I tried installing it from the disk and i recieved an error saying "Unable to connect to router". any help is appreciated

Dave

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try finding the "reset" button either on the back or bottom of the router and you need to push it with a sharp pencil or something like that. Hold it in till the lights blink a few times maybe and then they will eventually stop doing what they are doing, then you have reset it. Now with the computer off, unplug the power from the Modem for about 2 or 3 minutes and then plug the power back in. Now when the lights are done doing their thing on that turn the computer back on and see what you can do.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some broadband routers require that you hold the reset button in for a few seconds (usually 5) after unplugging it and/or then holding that button while plugging it back in to do a hard restart.