Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Vista better than XP?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Two days ago I had Win XP and loved it. I screwed up my computer so bad (BidDefender rescue Cd files went to HD instead of disc and would NEVER allow me to get into XP)that last night a tech came to my home and could not fix it. Since I had an upgrade disc for Vista that I never used, he put that on. Thank God I had backed up everything, online, with Mozy, so loss should be minimal. The question is: how many things did I have that will no longer work with Vista? Overall, if the general consensus that Vista is good or not? If not, should I upgrade to Win7 or go back to XP, which I am told I can do. Your thoughts?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Given a choice between Vista, XP and 7. I would go for 7 every time. Xp is now becoming more insecure as MS ends support for it and Vista is just a slowcoach of a system with 3Gb of RAM it crawls.

If your computer can accept Vista then it will accept 7.

As an example boot time for Vista is 2.5 minutes and I run a lean system, the 7 partition takes 35 seconds. Same programmes running at start on both partitions

Dependant on which programmes you were running on XP they may run in compatability mode on 7

King Belshazzar

King Belshazzar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Vista at home and have been struggling with it a bit. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I have 7 at the office and it has been faster and more stable for me. I do still have XP at home and will be sad to see it go. I keep it mostly for compatibility with old hardware and software.