Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro won't boot OS or recognize boot drive

• Please log in to reply

GlennBrann

GlennBrann

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an HP xw4300 desktop computer from 2008. It just recently developed a problem of not booting correctly. When I try to start the computer it loads the BIOS and attempts to boot from the hard drive, fails, and goes back to the BIOS and goes through this same repetition over and over. I've tried to start in safe mode, and from all the other boot options, and it still went in the same circle. I then tried to use the diagnostic cd that came with the system and it said that everything was good. I then tried to use the restore cd that came with the computer and tried to restore cd and it asks for the OS cd and tried to repair it but that also didn't work. I then tried to re-install the OS and it didn't recognize/couldn't find the hard drive. Any suggestions on what to do next or help with fixing this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then reinsert. Power up the computer and check to see if the hard drive is being recognized in CMOS Setup. If not, more than likely the hard drive needs to be replaced.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it could also be one of the cables (power or data) if the bios does not see the drive

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I just recently had a boot loop through the bios and back again. Turned out to be a LBA drive error that was fixed and the comp booted.
Check to see if it is seen in the bios.
If it is you may need to run the drive manufacturers diagnostics.

GlennBrann

GlennBrann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I Have Good news I fixed the computer. A friend of mine let me borrow a windows Cd with SP3 on it.
it loaded the OS went to boot up and it said it didn't see the hard drive. So I pulled the CMOS battery out again left it out for a few minutes put it back in .
then a message came up saying time and date wasn't set . I went into the bios set the time and date and re booted.
XP loaded all is good. Thanks everyone for the help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible