Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my 3rd computer

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,
I am building a new computer for my girlfriend. She says she wants a Pentium 4 (she does more multi-tasking than gaming) that is about 2.0 to 2.4 GHz. And she wants to be able to upgrade compnents easily. I always start with the mobo & CPU and work my way from there. How do these look?

MOBO:
ECS PT800CE-A Socket 478 VIA PT800 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
intel Pentium 4 2.4A Prescott 533MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Retail

I'm trying to stay under $200 with this bundle and I found another website that offers it for $150... Is it worth it? If not, then can you recommend anything that would be better, within my price range, and within her specifacations listed above?

Thanks a ton! :tazz:

Advertisements

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi UV_Power. If you want it to be easily upgraded, i recommend getting a motherboard with PCI-E instead of AGP because PCI-E is faster, so if you want to upgrade your video card you would be getting a faster card. Other then that everything else looks good.

-spudZ :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
That's true. I guess I could start looking into the age of the PCI-e mobos. Besides, the PCI-e version of any video card is cheaper than it's AGP counterpart. Thanks for the advice. :tazz:

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
thats right now, in the future, it will probably go higher.
i got a prescott. 530j. the thing wit prescott cpus is that they run at much higher temperatures then normal cpus. but need not worry since if you research, you will find out that these temperature readings are normal for this cpu. so a 50-60c is alright. you will usually get that in games. i was worried about my temp., but after some research, it went down. o and if you plan on having a upgradeable pc, then get a case that is mid. its way easier and ahve the case have an extra fan slot somewhere, cuz you may need it.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
where did you find that for package for under $200. I've been looking around and a good processor costs around $300

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
go skt LGA775 as it will give u pci-e and ddr2 ram and it will support all new cpus