Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning new Notebook Hard Drive - Hangs up at 95%

• Please log in to reply

adhenri

adhenri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Sony PCG VX89 Notebook running Windows XP with a bad 80GB hard drive. I bought a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB Internal EIDE (PATA) Hard Drive at Best Buy. I switched out the old for the new HDD and inserted the Sony OEM Recovery disk in the external Disc Drive and powered up. The Sony Restore software informed me that the HDD had not been partitioned yet and asked a few more questions. I gave the go ahead to partition using the default settings for the C and D drive sizes. The notebook began partitioning the HDD; but after partitioning about 95% of the HDD, all progress stopped. It was hung up. I let it run for several hours and did not see any change to the percent of partitioning completed. When I hit the enter key, I was given the option to cancel the partitioning process or continue. The prompt to "end" partitioninig would not do anything - It stayed hung up. I powered off and repeated the process with identical results.

How do I get past the 95% mark and complete partitioning so that the restore disk can install the OS, drivers, and everything else that gets me back to a hard drive with all of the software Sony shipped it with? The Sony Restore screens are very basic and there are no options provided by Sony at the partitioning stage to do anything but continue or cancel.

It was originally shipped with an 80 GB HDD. Is there a problem with MS XP or my BIOS going to a 320 GB HDD?

Do I need to hit an "F" key to get into the BIOS Setup screens? Is it even possible?

I am getting ready to send this off to my son for use at college. He knows I have run into a problem and has bet me that I won't be able to repair this one. I can not let him win this bet. Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by adhenri, 19 October 2010 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Normally if a hard drive will not format it usually means it's faulty.
If the laptop had an issue with 320Gb hard drives you'd have known about it long before you had chance to format it.