Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hissing Noise and no Audio

• Please log in to reply

Vram

Vram

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello and glad I found this place to get some help.

Just today all of a sudden instead of audio my headphones started to produce type of a hissing noise instead of sound. I do not have speakers and always listen to music or youtube through headphones.
I tried another pair of headphones and the noise persisted. The noise also happens when I move the volume slider up or down.

Its a win xp machine. I am not very technical but think there is no sound card and just uses the onboard audio?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Vram :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, this information will
enable others to help you better.

Vram

Vram

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its a custom desktop build about 2 and a half years ago using ASUS M2N-SLI motherboard. I had to put volume on mute because each sound be it online or software just produce hissing noise.
It is not continues just lasts the duration of the sound.

I tried to restore to yesterdays point and the noise is still there.

Nothing was changed that I can recall to cause it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
First thing I suggest is loan a set of speakers to check if the hissing comes through those, if it doesn't it would suggest the headphone socket has the issue, this could be a bad connection or interference for example, do you have a wireless network card in the MB or a router connected/near the headphone socket?
If the above does not help download the latest audio drivers from the link below;
http://support.asus....d/download.aspx and save them to your desktop, uninstall the present audio drivers and then install the new ones and hopefully this will resolve the issue, if not it may be time to check inside the computer for loose connections etc and you may possibly have to install an add on sound card.