Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue error screen after running bootcfg /r for windows xp after receiv

• Please log in to reply

belfairianmomma

belfairianmomma

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you in advance for your time with, yet again, another troublesome computer question. After turning the coumputer on, I was receiving error messages regarding boot.ini was missing and then {windows}system32/hal.dll was missing. Windows would not load, so I popped in original Windows xp update cd, and booted from disk. I pressed R, got command prompts, ran chkdsk, and it came up with "one or more errors have been found." So then I ran chkdsk /r, restarted to boot from hard drive, and got a blue screen that stated windows could not continue, please run chkdsk. Then I booted from cd, ran chkdsk /p, found no errors, then ran bootcfg. Went through the final three steps and renamed, but I still get the same blue error screen. I have gone through many posts here, and have tried other multiple solutions, all to no avail. I slaved the hard drive to another hard drive running xp, and I can access everything on the drive, it just will not boot up. I have scanned the drive with Avira antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and have had no infections. Can you suggest any other scans or fixes? I was going to try to run msconfig, but I can't figure out how to do it while it is slaved, and I can not log in to windows while it is running as master. Not even through safe mode. I would really not like to have to format, as the xp cd I have is an update, and I don't have a floppy drive to run the 98 floppy for verification. Thank you for your time on this matter.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello and :D

http://www.down-dll....ownload=hal.dll Here is the hal.dll

How do I install the dll-file?
Use an Unzip-application to select the dll-file and extract it to your system directory. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7). You may also put it in the directory of the program, that is asking for the file. If putting it in the system directory isn't enough, you may need to use regsvr32 by the following way:

1. Press Start and select Run
2. Type CMD and press Enter
3. Type regsvr32 "filename".dll and press Enter

If this fails then try a repair install.!

belfairianmomma

belfairianmomma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your advice. I downloaded the hal.dll file, and installed it in the windows/system32 folder on the slaved hard drive. There was one there, so I said yes to replace the file, shut down, fixed jumper to make it master, and booted up. I then clicked on start windows normally, and got this message:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as : load needed DLLs for kernel Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I tried to run the regsvr32, but it told me the drive was not recognized as an internal or external operable or batch file. Any other suggestions?