Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access https sites

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I am compeltely stumped with my laptop. It all started about two weeks ago when I couldn't connect to my school email address. I noticed it required a secure connection and I then realized I couldn't access any https sites. I took it to the tech support at my school and they told me to re install Windows, and I can't afford to do that. Its a Toshiba running Windows 7 HP 64bit. I used to be able to connect just fine, and it just randomly stopped connecting one day. I can connect fine from other computers, just not mine. Any help is really appreciated.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
By can't afford, do you mean can't afford to buy the Windows disc or can't lose all your data? Because, you should have gotten a Windows 7 disc with the laptop upon purchase, if not, I assume you can call Toshiba support and ask for it (that is what HP does, it should be free) and you can simply use that. Or if you can't wipe your computer, you can back it up can't you?

Edited by Rifat Zaman, 22 October 2010 - 02:27 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hi Rifat Zaman,

By afford I mean I have no viable way of backing up my data at the moment. I have ordered a new backupdrive but it wont be here for at least a week. As for a recovery disc, my HP I had to pay for the recovery discs, so I am not sure what Toshiba will do.

Thanks for your help!

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Well I am compeltely stumped with my laptop. It all started about two weeks ago when I couldn't connect to my school email address. I noticed it required a secure connection and I then realized I couldn't access any https sites. I took it to the tech support at my school and they told me to re install Windows, and I can't afford to do that. Its a Toshiba running Windows 7 HP 64bit. I used to be able to connect just fine, and it just randomly stopped connecting one day. I can connect fine from other computers, just not mine. Any help is really appreciated.

Only a suggestion and don't take offence, but have you tried using System Restore to a point prior to when you noticed this problem?

I know it's a bit obvious, but you may have overlooked it?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Only a suggestion and don't take offence, but have you tried using System Restore to a point prior to when you noticed this problem?

I know it's a bit obvious, but you may have overlooked it?

I actually did over look it but it did not work.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
What creating a repair disc and trying that? There is a tutorial here

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
What happens when you try to connect to such a site? Do you get any particular error messages etc?
What web browser are you using? Have you tried an alternative browser?
Do you have any other programs that might interfere, such as parental controls/web filter software or external firewalls?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
My room mate ended up making an account here and was able to get it solved in the malware removal forum. Thanks for your help!