Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did a Compaq Quick Restore and freezes at windows!

• Please log in to reply

jjd1984

jjd1984

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK, so I did a quick restore on my Compaq Presario 700 Series laptop using all 3 discs. It was going smoothly until it boots up. First comes a normal "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" screen with the blue status bar and the black background. Then a black screen appears, And finally the "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" screen comes back again but this time there is no blue status bar and is replaced with "Please wait..." and it stays there. Oh and just to let you know, it is now 7:10 PM where I am at and it has been that way since 3:45 this afternoon. There's nothing to quick about this restore if you ask me.... :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'd run the restore again--had more than a few go bad...

jjd1984

jjd1984

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I'd run the restore again--had more than a few go bad...

View Post

Ok, so I did the restore again. This time it has made it to a windows screen which displays the following:

---------------------------
"Welcome To Windows
Thank you for purchasing this computer from Compaq with Microsoft Windows XP.
Let's spend a few minutes setting up your computer....

To continue, click Next"

--------------------------

So I go ahead and do so and it goes nowhere and is still stuck there as of now. The other thing I noticed is that it sounds like music is skipping. I ehar something coming from the built in speakers. So many computer problems...so little time....

:tazz:

Edited by jjd1984, 26 May 2005 - 08:48 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
two restores in a row.....not good...

(please, no more big bold gold letters on a light background)

Discs clean or scratched? Ever cleaned the CD-ROM with a disk cleaner?

Do you have any idea if this system uses a hidden partiton for some of the software? What is the exact model of your laptop _there are more than 50 700 series notebooks.

jjd1984

jjd1984

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

two restores in a row.....not good...

(please, no more big bold gold letters on a light background)

Discs clean or scratched? Ever cleaned the CD-ROM with a disk cleaner?

Do you have any idea if this system uses a hidden partiton for some of the software? What is the exact model of your laptop _there are more than 50 700 series notebooks.

View Post

[SIZE=7][COLOR=gray][B][FONT=Optima]First, I changed the color to make it easier on everybody's eyes ;)

Next, there is nothing wrong with the CDs (not sure about the CDROM), however, neither have ever been cleaned.

I am not sure how to find out if it does have a hidden partition or not.

Finally, the model number is CM2130

In addition to all this, much work has been done to this laptop so I figure this might be helpful information:

* it has been converted from FAT32 to NTFS and back to FAT32
* it has had the original partitioned wiped out and a new one created
*I have installed Windows 98 and Windows Xp

The funny thing is, is that one day I attached a patch to the computer and it crashed. So I went about reinstalling Windows and all that but the problem was that it is now runnig much slower thatn usual. Also, when I was installing Windows Xp, it would copy files and then stop, so I had to open the CD-ROM and shut it again. Is it possible that the memory card could be fried or something? I'm not super familar with laptops so I have no idea what is up. :tazz:

Edited by jjd1984, 27 May 2005 - 09:50 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the copy and stop sounds like a dirty cd-rom or dirty cd, again.

Since that is different cds, let's focus on the cd-rom....I would get a cd-rom cleaner from a local pc store--it will clean the lens inside to improve it's reliability

Looking over the compaq site, i cannot find a series 700 with a model of that designation....the two numbers do not seem right

I did not find any laptops in the 700 series with a hidden partition.

That you created, tehn removed partitions kind of makes that irrelevent.

The restore should wipe out the restore--or am I missing something? Does this have multiple restore options?

sajolley

sajolley

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi im new here i was wondering if some one could help me with my lap top its a Compaq Presario 700 Series laptop and the series is a CM2130 it starts up and is fine for a while then it dies im not sure what to do with it :tazz:

Edited by sajolley, 07 December 2005 - 05:16 AM.